Building record 0095200000 - ALL SAINTS CHURCH, LITTLE KIMBLE
- Listed Building (I) 1158922: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Planning Notification Area: Site of Roman villa, earthworks of Medieval motte and bailey castle and manorial moat at Little Kimble
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1847 and 1875-6, 12th Century to 19th Century - 1100 AD to 1899 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0022 m Width 0007
Grade I. Church. Originally C12, altered C14, restored 1876 by George Devey. Flint and rubble stone with stone dressings; tiled roofs. Chamfered stone eaves, part with chamfered plinth, off-set buttresses. Nave, chancel, early C14 N. and S. porches. W. end of nave has C19 bellcote with twin arches, and 3-light traceried window with C19 quatrefoil above. N.side has lancet in W. bay, 2 2-light traceried windows, door in C19 arch and gabled porch with moulded and chamfered 2-centred arch. S. side has small 2-light window in W. bay, 2 2-light traceried windows with flat heads and carved head stops to hoodmoulds, and similar porch. Chancel has 2-light traceried window and off-side lancet to N., C19 cusped single light to S., and C19 3-light traceried E. window. All other windows are early-late C14, restored. Interior: Double-chamfered chancel arch on semi-octagonal piers with moulded caps. Moulded slightly ogee piscinae in S. walls of nave and chancel. Nave roof restored C19 retaining C15-C16 shallow arched spandrels with blind tracery panels. Fine series of early C14 wall paintings in nave with large figures of St James, St Christopher, St George, St Lawrence and St Bernard (?), a triptych of the Virgin and Child, and small high scenes of the martyrdoms of St Margaret and St Catherine. Other figures of saints, including St Francis, in N. window splays and on E. wall, all below painted canopies with crockets. Other fittings include some good C14 floor tiles in chancel with figures in roundels; an early tub font; pulpit and reading desk with early C17 carved panels, and fragments of medieval stained glass in N. windows. 2 late C18 marble memorial tablets. RCHMI p. 166-167 Mon. 5 (B1,B5).
AT NGR (B8).
George Devey responsible for restoration of the chancel and nave roofs and reseating in 1875-6, with a cost of £1,300. Details in the Vestry Minute Book 1863-1886 and correspondence held in the Bucks Record Office (B13).
- <1>SBC22140 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p27.
- <2>SBC7636 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 2 PP352-355.
- <3>SBC14138 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN P168.
- <4>SBC20461 Bibliographic reference: William Page (ed). 1908. A History of Buckinghamshire (Victoria County History) Volume II. Volume 2. pp305-306.
- <5>SBC12784 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP166-167.
- <6>SBC15171 Article in serial: E W Tristram. 1932. 'LITTLE MISSENDEN WALL PAINTINGS', IN RECS OF BUCKS 12 P313.
- <7>SBC3157 Article in serial: COLVIN H M 1964 'EYTHROPE HOUSE AND ITS DEMOLITION', IN RECS OF BUCKS 17 P226.
- <8>SBC10346 Map: OS 1921 1:2500 MAP/ OS 1960 1:10560 MAP.
- <9>SBC13714 Unpublished document: REPORT & CORRESPONDENCE BETWEEN E C ROUSE & J F HE AD 1969 (FILED)..
- <10>SBC19472 Bibliographic reference: Parish Council. ?. All Saints Little Kimble.
- <11>SBC19602 Unpublished document: Little Kimble Church, Buckinghamshire (undated notes on wall paintings).
- <12>SBC19603 Photograph: Julia Wise. 2002. Wise J May 2002 Photographs of wall paintings, tiles, etc in Little Kimble Church.
- <13>SBC24278 Bibliographic reference: Jill Allibone. 1991. George Devey: Architect 1820-1886. p170.
|Grid reference||SP 82650 06420 (point)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT AND LITTLE KIMBLE, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: ALL SAINTS CHURCHYARD (Monument) (0095203000)
- Parent of: ALL SAINTS, LITTLE KIMBLE (Building) (0095200001)
- Parent of: ALL SAINTS, LITTLE KIMBLE (Building) (0095200002)
- Parent of: ALL SAINTS, LITTLE KIMBLE (Building) (0095201000)
- Parent of: ALL SAINTS, LITTLE KIMBLE (Building) (0095202000)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2022 2:08PM