Building record 1408900000 - Old Churchyard, Bartlett family vault & associated chest tombs & headstones
- Listed Building (II) 1201378: OLD CHUCHYARD, BARTLETT FAMILY VAULT AND ASSOCIATED CHEST TOMBS AND HEADSTONES
Type and Period (3)
- VAULT (18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- CHEST TOMB (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- GRAVESTONE (18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
Grade II. Family vault, chest tombs and headstones. C18 and early C19. Limestone ashlar vault, ironstone memorials. Large, low rectangular family vault with rusticated quoins forms plinth for pair of chest tombs either end, both with balustered corners and early C19. Headstones in between and facing Hunter Street to W have segmental tops and 3 winged cherub's heads above scrolled cartouches bearing inscription. One commemorates Esther, wife of Robert Bartlett, died Feb 19 1763. All commemorate various members of Bartlett family. The vault stands close to revetment wall of Old Churchyard (qv) and overlooks Hunter Street to West side. (B1).
- <1>SBC23498 Bibliographic reference: Department of National Heritage (DNH). 1994. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKINGHAMSHIRE: BOROUGH OF BUCKINGHAM. p46.
|Grid reference||SP 69340 33596 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKINGHAM, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 10 2022 7:45PM