Monument record 0632103000 - Taplow Hillfort: Saxon reoccupation
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- OCCUPATION SITE (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
A ditch found by Wessex Archaeology in their evaluation trench 6 was thought by Oxford Archaeology to possibly be Saxon in date, but there was no dating evidence (B4).
Anglo-Saxon activity includes a poorly preserved inhumation dating from the late 6th-7th century cal AD and finds which date from c. 650-980 cal AD from the upper fills of the Iron Age ditch. These finds include a sherd which possibly formed part of a late Roman vessel imported from the eastern Mediterranean. It is also possible that a foundation trench belonged to an Anglo-Saxon building. Although these finds provide only a shadowy image of Anglo-Saxon activity, their proximity to the Taplow Mound lends them a special interest (B3).
- ---SBC20136 Photograph: Sandy Kidd (BCC). 1999. Photographs taken during Oxford Archaeology's Open Day at Taplow Hill Fort. 35mm. Print. 3in x 5in.
- ---SBC20137 Photograph: Sandy Kidd. 1999. Colour and B/W photograhs taken of Oxford Archaeology's area excavation of Taplow Hillfort. 35mm. 3in x 5in.
- <1>SBC20135 Article in serial: Tim Allen & Hugo Lamdin-Whymark. 2001. 'The Taplow Hillfort', in Current Archaeology 175. 175.
- <2>SBC22435 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2005. Taplow Court (Phase 2), Taplow: Archaeological Evaluation Report.
- <3>SBC22946 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Taplow Court, Buckinghamshire: Draft Publication Report. p 103.
- <4>SBC22947 Unpublished document: Wessex Archaeology. 1998. Taplow Court, Taplow, Buckinghamshire. p 14.
|Grid reference||SU 90683 82399 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TAPLOW, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Area excavation of hillfort at Taplow Court (EBC16343)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation trial trenching (Ref: TAPC 05) (EBC16605)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation trial trenching at Taplow Court (EBC16342)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2007 4:04PM