Monument record 0632103001 - Taplow Hillfort: Saxon Building
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- POST BUILT STRUCTURE (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
In 1999 Oxford Archaeology carried out an excavation and located the foundation trench of a sub-rectangular Saxon timber building at least 5m long and 3.5m wide, in the NE corner of the site (B1).
A shallow foundation trench was found in the north-eastern corner of the main excavation. It formed a U-shape in plan. Within this trench close-set sircular post-pipes, marked by dark brown sandy silt set within orange brown sandy silt packing, were found. It contained a few pieces of flint and some charred plant remains. Part of a further, rather irregular, curving gully was found by Wessex Archaeology in a nearby evaluation trench but there were no post-pipes so it may not have been associated. It may have been associated with the Early-Middle Iron Age hillfort entrance (perhaps a guard-house tucked behind the hornwork), or related to the Late Bronze Age double palisade. Post-in-trench is characteristic of the Middle and Late Saxon periods and there is a Saxon burial nearby. The structure is, however, irregular and narrow for a Saxon building so cannot be closely dated (B2).
- ---SBC20136 Photograph: Sandy Kidd (BCC). 1999. Photographs taken during Oxford Archaeology's Open Day at Taplow Hill Fort. 35mm. Print. 3in x 5in.
- ---SBC20137 Photograph: Sandy Kidd. 1999. Colour and B/W photograhs taken of Oxford Archaeology's area excavation of Taplow Hillfort. 35mm. 3in x 5in.
- <1>SBC20135 Article in serial: Tim Allen & Hugo Lamdin-Whymark. 2001. 'The Taplow Hillfort', in Current Archaeology 175. 175.
- <2>SBC22946 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2007. Taplow Court, Buckinghamshire: Draft Publication Report. pp 70-1.
|Grid reference||SU 90684 82401 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||TAPLOW, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
- FLAKE (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2350 BC? to 42 AD?)
- PLANT MACRO REMAINS (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- BURNT FLINT (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2350 BC? to 42 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Area excavation of hillfort at Taplow Court (EBC16343)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2007 2:52PM