Monument record 1172402000 - LUDGERSHALL FARM, WOTTON END, LUDGERSHALL
- None recorded
Type and Period (4)
- FARMYARD (16th Century to 19th Century - 1500 AD? to 1899 AD?)
- PATH (20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- YARD (16th Century to 19th Century - 1500 AD? to 1899 AD?)
Evaluation trial trenching carried out by John Moore Heritage Services in September 2005 in advance of proposed barn conversions, revealed a cobbled farmyard surface of post-medieval to modern date and to the east a path constructed of 19th and 20th century grave footstones originally from Ludgershall churchyard, which had been given to the farmer about 20 years previously. Residual finds of medieval pottery included a possible saggar fragment, suggesting the presence of a possible pottery kiln nearby. See report for detail (B2).
Subsequent watching brief carried out from February to September 2006 during groundworks and service trenching identified an undated u-shaped NE-SW aligned ditch, possibly a drainage ditch, 1.4m wide, 0.9m deep, and visible for 4m. The ditch fill included brick fragments, small stones and charcoal flecks and it is suggested that the ditch was deliberately back-filled, possibly before the creation of the cobbled yard surface. The full extent of the cobbled yard was not be defined during the watching brief. See report for detail (B4).
- <2>SBC22718 Unpublished document: John Moore Heritage Services. 2005. An Archaeological Excavation at Ludgershall Farm, Ludgershall.
- <4>SBC22730 Unpublished document: John Moore Heritage Services. 2006. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Ludgershall Farm, Ludgershall.
|Grid reference||SP 66414 17343 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LUDGERSHALL, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
- GRAVESTONE (19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
- VESSEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VESSEL (17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD to 1999 AD)
- KILN FURNITURE (15th Century to 16th Century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation trial trenching (Ref: LLLF 05) (EBC16736)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (Ref: LLLF 06) (EBC16741)
Record last edited
Oct 12 2017 2:49PM