Building record 0077002000 - FOSCOTT PARISH CHURCH
- Listed Building (II*) 1214918: ST LEONARD'S
- SHINE: Foscott Medieval shrunken village earthworks with associated ridge and furrow cultivation, fishponds & manor site, and Foscott Roman villa site
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) PARISH CHURCH (Restored 19th century, 12th Century to 15th Century - 1100 AD to 1499 AD)
- HOUSE (Converted 1979, 20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
Dimensions - Width 0009 m Length 0020
Plan Form - SUBRECTANGULAR
Grade II+. Former parish church, now dwelling. Nave C12, chancel extended C14, S. porch C15. Restored C19, converted to house by Patrick Lorimer 1970's. Coursed rubble stone, tiled roofs with coped gables and ornamental ridge tiles. Nave: W. wall has wide single lancets with hoodmoulds to ground floor and above in gable. S. wall has similar lancet to E. with carved stops and 2-light Perpendicular window to W. Three C20 hipped dormers with paired casements. C12 S. doorway has round moulded arch with nailhead ornament to outer moulding, carved impost blocks and stoup to right. Porch has moulded Perpendicular arch with C20 door and stone benches to side walls. N. wall has wide lancet with ogee cusping and hoodmould, and pointed arched doorway with C20 glazed door to W. One skylight. Chancel: pointed arched doorway to S. under hoodmould with carved head stops. Flanking 2-light windows, that to E with Y tracery, much restored. N. wall has C20 lean-to with octagonal chimney stack to side. Three light Perpendicular E. window. Interior: nave has modern roof on C14 carved head corbels, and four centred arch to rood-loft stairs in S. wall. Low narrow C14 chancel arch, triple chamfered with inner order on corbels with ballflower ornament. Flanked by panels with Lords Prayer, Creed and Commandments. Chancel has cusped ogee piscina, C19 painted decoration on E. wall, fragments of C16 glass in S.E. window and C19 glass by Lavers and Westlake of London in E. window. RCHM II pp 115-6 (B10).
CHURCHYARD SURVEY, PLAN, LIST OF MONUMENTS, PHOTOS FILED (B7).
PHOTOS OF INTERIOR DURING CONVERSION IN 1979 (B9).
Buildings report held at NMR (B12).
- <7>SBC2935 Unpublished document: 1972. CHURCH COMMISSIONER'S PASTORAL MEASURE (1968) NOTICE, JUNE 1972.
- <9>SBC8446 Verbal communication: Michael Farley (BCM). 1979. PERS COMM, JUNE 1979 FOLLOWING SITE VISIT IN APRIL 1979.
- <10>SBC19250 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1983. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p20.
- <12>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF051367.
|Grid reference||SP 71680 35762 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||FOSCOTT, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC14004)
- Event - Survey: Site visit by Historic Buildings Officer (EBC13585)
Record last edited
Feb 17 2010 1:51PM