Building record 0076700000 - BIDDLESDEN PARISH CHURCH
- Listed Building (II*) 1211493: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET AND LINKING WING TO BIDDLESDEN PARK HOUSE
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) CHAPEL (Dated 1735, 18th Century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (19th Century - 1800 AD? to 1899 AD?)
Dimensions - Length 20m, Width 10m.
Plan Form - Rectangular.
Grade II+. Formerly chapel to Biddlesden Park house. Plaque above doorway inscribed Henry Sayer DD 1735. Chequered brick with stone chamfered quoins, moulded eaves cornice, window and door dressings. Hipped tiled roof. S. front: one storey, 5 bays. Tall leaded windows with semi-circular arched heads in Gibbs surrounds. Central panelled door in similar square-headed surround with triple keyblock, pulvinated frieze and pediment. One similar window to E. end. W. front continued to N. providing passage to house. 2 storeys and attic with first floor stone band course. 7 bays. Centre bay has blind stone arch with round window in pediment above. Remaining bays have blind windows to ground floor and upper left hand bay, paired casements to first floor, all with cambered arched heads and keyblocks. 2 dormers. Octagonal wooden bellcote to centre. Interior: original fittings include communion table, rails and pulpit; panels of Creed and Commandments in carved gilt frames flanking E. window; . gallery of 2 orders, Doric below, Ionic above; marble baluster font; Royal Arms 1723; panelled dado. C19 and early C20 glass (B6).
FORMERLY PART OF STABLES OF BIDDLESDEN PARK HOUSE (B4).
NGR TO ST MARGARET'S CHURCH (B3).
Buildings report dated Nov 1985 - Aug 1986 held at NMR (B7).
- <1>SBC16718 Bibliographic reference: WILLIS B 1755 HISTORY & ANTIQUITIES OF-- BUCKINGHAM PP153-4.
- <2>SBC20463 Bibliographic reference: William Page (ed). 1927. A History of Buckinghamshire (Victoria County History) Volume IV. Volume 4. pp154-156.
- <3>SBC12994 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 P63.
- <4>SBC11761 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P65.
- <5>SBC25766 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1958. OS 6-inch (1:10,560) map. Paper. 1:10,560.
- <6>SBC3681 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1983. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. pp5-6.
- <7>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF061721.
|Grid reference||SP 63295 39865 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BIDDLESDEN, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13583)
Record last edited
Aug 14 2022 8:14PM