Monument record 0076203000 - PONDS AT GRANGE FARM, QUAINTON
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval monastic grange at Lee Grange
Type and Period (2)
- FISHPOND (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1798 AD?)
- LEAT (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1798 AD?)
A PAIR OF FISHPONDS ARE VISIBLE ON APS. HOWEVER, THE OS CARD SAYS THERE ARE 'A SERIES OF 3 WATER FILLED FISHPONDS ON W SIDE OF FARMHOUSE' (B6).
An earthwork survey was undertaken at Grange Farm, Shipton Lee. The main earthworks comprise a flight of four fishponds linked by narrow channels and fed from a straight channel or leat with an embankment on its east side and feeder channels into two ponds. Aerial photographs suggest that the leat originally extended as far as a small extant pond immediately to the north of Lee Road. The first two ponds south of Lee Road, proceeding from north to south, are cut features lacking dams or embankments. The last twp ponds are retained by substantial earthen dams between 1m and 2m in height on their downstream sides. The south end sof the leat and the third pond are approximately coincidental and appear to be roughly cut by the final pond, which may be a later addition. To the east of the fishponds is a borad area of low ground, which may be the remnant of an earlier, larger and simpler 'pond bay' predating the flight of fishponds (B7).
- ---SBC18771 Aerial Photograph: 10/03/48. RAF 145.3266. SP\733204. Yes.
- <5>SBC12477 Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1948. 1948 RAF vertical aerial photograph. Yes.
- <6>SBC10628 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Field Investigator. OS RECORD CARD.
- <7>SBC22562 Article in serial: Sandy Kidd (BCC). 2006. The Cistercian grange at Grange Farm, Shipton Lee, Quainton. p 153.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 7344 2084 (30m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||QUAINTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Field survey at Grange Farm, Shipton Lee, Quainton (EBC16918)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC16719)
Record last edited
Feb 4 2022 10:24AM