Monument record 0690701000 - 10th century boundary of Winslow Manor: Foul Ford
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- FORD (10th Century - 900 AD to 999 AD)
An article tracing the tenth century boundary of Winslow Manor notes 'Foul Ford', some 8m from the present footbridge across Claydon Brook, which in pre-enclosure days carried the road from Granborough to Swanbourne. It is suggested that before the 10th century this ford would have had great importance as other tracks to the 'lost manor of Littleton' may have crossed here (1)
This area was assessed as part of the North Buckinghamshire Aerial Investigation and Mapping project (EBC18304). There was no sign of the ford or an associated road way; however, the course of the Claydon Brook has been straightened and the former course is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork, centred at SP 478745 478745. It was not mapped as part of the project but showed as a sinuous palaeochannel along the course of the straightened watercourse; remote sensing data shows a very slight earthwork on this line. (2-3)
- <1>SBC20208 Article in serial: E J Bull and Julian Hunt. 1996. 'Rewalking the Tenth-century Perambulation of Winslow Manor', in Recs of Bucks 38 pp90-108. Vol 38. pp90-108.
- <2>SBC25707 Aerial Photograph: Historic England. 1946. RAF/CPE/UK/1897 RP 3298 12-Dec-1946.
- <3>SBC25062 Digital archive: Environment Agency. Environment Agency LiDAR data. LIDAR SP7826 Environment Agency 1m DTM 2017-2019 date accessed 25-Feb-2020.
|Grid reference||SP 78916 26658 (point)|
|Civil Parish||SWANBOURNE, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
|Civil Parish||WINSLOW, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Aerial investigation and mapping project (Ref: 7768) (EBC18304)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2023 6:18PM