Monument record 0689600001 - N of Eton Rowing Lake (Areas 3 and 5): Foot Bridges
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2350 BC to 42 AD)
Up stream of the bridge structure found in 1995, four more structures consisting of lines of upright piles in pairs were found (features 7201, 7202, 7204 and 7205). Three uprights were also found on the southern bank (feature 7203). Structures 7204 and 7205 consited of lines of paired single posts with double posts at intervals. In both structures, a third intermittant line of uprights had been placed between the two main lines. Alongside one of the uprights of 7204 a morticed horizontal was found and one or two of the uprights had surviving lengths of branch (natural forks being used as supports for superstructure?). Where 7205 met the gravel bank, several post voids were noted. Middle Bronze Age pottery was recovered from the silts abutting the timbers of 7205, also a partial human burial and large quantities of animal bones. Structure 7201 had double posts except at the northern edge of the channel where they were single. A large sherd of hand-made pottery (Iron Age?) was recovered from alongside the posts and one of the uprights proved to be a log-ladder. Between the uprights a hurdle trackway had been constructed at a later date, often lying upon or overlain by brushwood. At least 1m of silting had occurred around the original bridge and the crossing was thus probably a shallow ford. All six wattle panels were well-preserved (B1).
- ---SBC19097 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeological Unit. 1995. The Eton College Rowing Lake, Dorney, South Bucks..
- ---SBC19717 Article in serial: CBA South Midlands Group. 1995. South Midlands Archaeology 25, 1995. No 25.
- ---SBC19988 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 1996. Eton College Rowing Lake, Dorney, South Buckinghamshire - Archaeological Evaluations 1995.
- ---SBC19989 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. The Eton College Rowing Lake, Dorney, South Buckinghamshire - Archaeological Evaluations 1995.
- ---SBC20194 Article in serial: Tim Allen and Ken Walsh. Eton Rowing lake. 148. pp124-7.
- ---SBC2399 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1986. The Dorney Study: An Archaeological Implications Report.
- <1>SBC19770 Article in serial: CBA South Midlands Group. 1997. South Midlands Archaeology 27, 1997.
- <1>SBC19846 Article in serial: CBA South Midlands Group. 1998. South Midlands Archaeology 28, 1998. 28.
- <2>SBC19799 Monograph: Stuart Foreman, Jonathan Hiller and David Petts et al. 2002. Gathering the people, settling the land: the archaeology of a middle Thames landscape.
- <3>SBC19979 Unpublished document: Mike Farley and Angus Wainwright. 1990. Correspondence relating to the parchmarks noted on the South Lawn, Stowe, in 1990.
|Grid reference||Centred SU 93178 78061 (96m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||DORNEY, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: (EBC11855)
- Event - Intervention: Eton College Rowing Course Project (EBC16357)
Record last edited
Sep 30 2009 5:17PM