Landscape record 0210407000 - Gardens at Dorney Court
- None recorded
Type and Period (6)
- PARK (earlier than 1812, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD? to 1899 AD)
- TREE AVENUE (earlier than 1810, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD? to 1899 AD)
- FORMAL GARDEN (earlier than 1881, 19th Century - 1800 AD? to 1899 AD)
- WOODLAND GARDEN (earlier than 1812, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD? to 1899 AD)
- ORNAMENTAL LAKE (earlier than 1881, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD? to 1899 AD)
- ROSE GARDEN (Earlier than 1951, 20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
House constructed c.1500, altered in the 18th century and restored in the 20th century. Bryant's map of 1825 shows parkland with a tree avenue. The first edition 6" OS map shows extensive parkland with wooded gardens. Two ornamental lakes with islands, formal garden area close to the house, orchard and several garden buildings. The modern 1:10000 OS map shows a simplified layout, an area of the orchard has gone but otherwise much the same (B8).
A late C18 and C19 garden, pleasure ground and park with origins c.1500, which survives intact. The garden around the house was remodelled in the early C20 in Arts and Crafts style. It is associated with a c.1500 timber‐framed manor house, remodelled in phases, most recently in the early C20. The informal wooded pleasure grounds retain many mature trees, with the classical Hermitage as a belvedere overlooking the grounds and wider landscape, evoking the Athenian Tower of the Winds. The village makes a strong contribution to the approach from the east, Windsor direction as does the wider rural Cress Brook and River Thames setting to the west, north and south. See report for detail (B9).
- <8>SBC19002 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1998. Historic Parks and Gardens Register Review.
- <9>SBC25192 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire Gardens Trust. 2019. Dorney Court: Understanding Historic Parks and Gardens in Buckinghamshire.
|Grid reference||SU 9260 7900 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||DORNEY, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 1 2020 3:10PM