Landscape record 1170701000 - Rectory House gardens
- None recorded
Type and Period (5)
- ORNAMENTAL POND? (First mentioned 1885, 19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD?)
- GARDEN (First mentioned 1824, 19th Century - 1862 AD? to 1899 AD)
- DITCH (18th Century - 1700 AD? to 1799 AD?)
- POST HOLE (18th Century - 1700 AD? to 1799 AD?)
- LAWN? (18th Century - 1700 AD? to 1799 AD?)
First edition 6-inch OS map shows house and grounds to the west of church, with small pond and semi-formal garden leading down to a larger pond at the rear. Recent AP's unable to clarify due to tree cover although the gardens seem intact. Recent maps show no detail of garden (B2-3).
Evaluation trial trenching carried out by Oxford Archaeology in October 2003 identified over 0.9m of modern redeposited material, backfilling a large feature 3m to the SW of the stable/coachhouse (trench 1). The report suggests that this may be the remains of a pond or leat associated with the medieval moat and fishpond complex in the field to the S, but it could equally be a later feature perhaps associated with the small pond shown to the rear of the buildings on the 19th century OS map. In trench 2 a shallow 18th century ditch and posthole were sealed by a buried topsoil layer 0.35m thick, interpreted as the remains of a lawn contemporary with the house. The ditch fill included residual finds of medieval pottery. See report for detail (B4).
- <2>SBC19002 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1998. Historic Parks and Gardens Register Review.
- <3>SBC10010 Map: O.S. 6 INCH (1:10560) MAP 1ST EDITION (1876/83).
- <4>SBC22259 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2003. The Old Rectory, Ludgershall: Archaeological Evaluation Report.
|Grid reference||SP 6592 1719 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LUDGERSHALL, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
- VESSEL (11th Century to 15th Century - 1000 AD? to 1499 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation trial trenching (Ref: LUOR 03) (EBC16528)
Record last edited
Aug 9 2012 2:38PM