Monument record 0066301000 - C400M NW OF PUTLOWES
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- WINDMILL MOUND? (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD to 1798 AD)
Dimensions - Height 0120 cm Radius 0950
FLAT TOPPED MOUND SITUATED ON SUMMIT OF LOW RISE MEASURING ABOUT 19M DIAMETER, 1.2M HIGH. PROBABLY OVERLAYS RIDGE & FURROW. THIS & ITS SHAPE SUGGESTS A WINDMILL MOUND OR TREE RING & NOT A BARROW. NO TRACE OF A CONTIGUOUS MOUND (B3).
Tom Clark asserts that mound appears to be the focus for Roman roads from Thornborough, Stone and Thame, all of which are visible as stone scatters in ploughsoil (B4).
An association with the mound would seem unlikely as 1940s RAF vertical APs appear to show the mound sitting on top of ridge and furrow (B1).
- ---SBC18715 Aerial Photograph: RAF 0927. SP\778153. Yes.
- ---SBC18822 Aerial Photograph: RAF. 01/01/57. RAF 2081. \.
- ---SBC20709 Aerial Photograph: Michael Farley. 2001. 2001 oblique AP by Mike Farley. SP78001500. Yes.
- <1>SBC12488 Bibliographic reference: RAF A/P'S (VARIOUS AT BCM) & RAF 2081 JAN 1957 AT BUCKS COLLECTION, CO LIBRARY,AYLESBURY.
- <2>SBC5170 Bibliographic reference: FARLEY M E,NOV 1973,FIELD VISIT.
- <3>SBC10628 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Field Investigator. OS RECORD CARD.
- <4>SBC19402 Verbal communication: Tom Clark. 1997. Clark T to Farley M E (BCM) 15th October 1997.
|Grid reference||SP 77870 15310 (point)|
|Civil Parish||FLEET MARSTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: (EBC13970)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14179)
Record last edited
Dec 17 2010 10:21AM