Landscape record 0020402000 - Aston Clinton Park and House
- Planning Notification Area: 19th century landscaped park and gardens at Aston Clinton Park (Green Park)
Type and Period (1)
- PARK (19th Century - 1880 AD? to 1899 AD)
A number of parkland features shown on the 1st edition 6" OS map still remain, although many have now gone. Field fences and sports grounds etc have been superimposed onto the original landscape. Ornamental trees near house, however there are no details of any visible gardens on recent APs (B7).
The remains of a mid‐late C19 garden and park for a lost country house, forming an early element of a unique cluster of seven flamboyant C19 Rothschild country house landscapes in Buckinghamshire/ Hertfordshire (the closest comparable of which are nearby Halton House and Tring Park). The design incorporates features from previous C18/C19 design phases and a canal, with mid‐C19 buildings by Stokes and Devey (who both worked on nearby Rothschild sites) and extensive mature ornamental tree planting. The 75 ha. Site is contiguous with adjacent Halton House, also for the Rothschild family. Although many features and much woody planting survives including parkland, losses and change have been sustained in the C20, including during the 1960s adaptation to a training centre, included most notably the replacement of the lost mansion with a large recreational building, and residential development around the northern periphery. See report for detail (B9).
- ---SBC20731 Aerial Photograph: Michael Farley. 2001. 2001 oblique AP by Mike Farley. SP89001220. Yes.
- ---SBC21715 Aerial Photograph: BCM (Michael Farley). 1998. 1998 BCM (Michael Farley) Oblique AP. SP88361174. Yes.
- <5>SBC22081 Article in serial: Diana Gulland. 2003. 'Aston Clinton Manor House: From Moated Site To Classical Mansion', in Records of Buckinghamshire 43. Vol 43. pp195-207.
- <7>SBC19002 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1998. Historic Parks and Gardens Register Review.
- <8>SBC10010 Map: O.S. 6 INCH (1:10560) MAP 1ST EDITION (1876/83).
- <9>SBC24661 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire Gardens Trust. 2014. Green Park (Aston Clinton Park) Understanding Historic Parks and Gardens in Buckinghamshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 8824 1136 (1146m by 1326m)|
|Civil Parish||ASTON CLINTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 2 2021 3:13PM