Landscape record 0104102000 - The Abbey
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- FORMAL GARDEN (First mentioned 1880's, 19th Century to 21st Century - 1880 AD? to 2050 AD)
- ORNAMENTAL POND (First mentioned 1880's, 19th Century to 21st Century - 1880 AD? to 2050 AD)
The Abbey originates from the late 18th century although there are no records of the gardens until the late 19th century when it is shown on the 1st edition OS map. Modest size formal gardens, large pond with islands in the centre. Ice house also visible on early map (B10).
On 28th October 1943 President Benes planted a lime tree in the grounds to the north of the house to commemmorate the 25th anniversary of the foundation of the state of Czechoslovakia (B12).
- <2>SBC10010 Map: O.S. 6 INCH (1:10560) MAP 1ST EDITION (1876/83).
- <10>SBC19002 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1998. Historic Parks and Gardens Register Review.
- <12>SBC22544 Bibliographic reference: Neil Rees. 2005. The Czech Connection: The Czechoslovak Governement in Exile in London and Buckinghamshire..
|Grid reference||SP 8443 2003 (point)|
|Civil Parish||ASTON ABBOTTS, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Aug 8 2012 3:25PM