Monument record 0001603000 - OVERBURNTS, CHOLESBURY
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- HEARTH (Early Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 700 BC? to 42 AD?)
- BLOOMERY? (Early Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 700 BC? to 42 AD?)
Watching brief in 1997 during topsoil stripping & cutting of service trench for construction of stable block within hillfort recorded a working surface, 2 possible hearths & evidence of associated ironworking, undated by finds but possibly Iron Age iIn area adjacent to Kimball's trench L (B14).
Negative watching brief by Archaeological Services & Consunltancy Ltd in September 2004 during groundworks for an extension to the stables found only previously disturbed ground and modern services (B20 ).
- <14>SBC14650 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1997. A Watching Brief at Overburnts, Cholesbury Hillfort.
- <20>SBC22221 Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2004. Watching Brief on Land to the Rear of Overburnts, Cholesbury.
|Grid reference||SP 93090 07190 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHOLESBURY-CUM-ST. LEONARDS, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire|
- SLAG (Early Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 700 BC? to 42 AD?)
- BURNT FLINT (Early Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 700 BC? to 42 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (EBC11605)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (Ref: COB) (EBC16523)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2021 2:55PM