Building record 1233000000 - TAPLOW HOUSE HOTEL, BERRY HILL
- Listed Building (II) 1332734: TAPLOW HOUSE HOTEL
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) COUNTRY HOUSE (Built 1751, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- HOTEL (20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
Grade II. Built 1751. Altered about 1800 and later, some of the later work being c1840 by Basevi for Lord Thomond; 2 storeys plus attic. Brick partly painted white. Entrance front severely plain with crenellated brick parapet. C19 sash windows and a large mid C19 Roman cement Doric columned porte cochere. Ground floor built out. Two-storey wings to right and left in similar style. Rainwater head dated 1751. Garden front with two C18 rainwater heads one inscribed '1743 RS'. Two-storey brick canted bay windows, with battlements, with a central feature in Roman cement in Tudor style with, on ground floor, a canted bay window. Wings to right and left; conservatory on left. Terrace wall of stock brick with shallow buttresses, stairs and wrought iron railings. Interior has entrance hall with Doric columns probably by Basevi; dining room said to have been built in 1800 for Pascoe Grenfell but subsequently altered. Staircase with elaborate chiselled brass balusters probably mid C19. HISTORY: The house appears to have been mentioned first in 1598. In 1628 it was given by James I to Hampson, 1st governor of Virginia. Sir Thomas Lawrence records dining here (B1).
Buildings report dated June 1990 held at NMR (B3).
- <1>SBC4001 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKINGHAMSHIRE: DISTRICT OF SOUTH BUCKS. p201.
- <2>SBC19002 Unpublished document: Buckinghamshire County Museum Archaeological Service. 1998. Historic Parks and Gardens Register Review.
- <3>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF109999.
- <4>SBC23894 Bibliographic reference: John Claudius Loudon. 1990. In Search of English Gardens: The Travels of John Claudius Loudon and His Wife Jane.
|Grid reference||SU 90900 81920 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TAPLOW, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 1 2011 10:00AM