Building record 1091500000 - DUNTON MANOR
- Listed Building (II) 1211969: Dunton Manor House
Type and Period (2)
- MANOR HOUSE (16th Century to 19th Century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
- (Alternate Type) TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (16th Century - 1500 AD to 1599 AD)
Grade II. House. Late C16 U-plan house, partly recased in brick C17, C19 alterations and infill to centre. Some timber framing, mostly brick to exterior, tiled roofs, brick chimneys. 2 storeys. N. front is triple gabled, the outer gables timber-framed, the centre one C19 with half-timbering. C19 brickwork below with narrow buttresses and irregular C20 leaded casements. C20 gabled porch extension to left. S. front has altered hipped roof and 4 bays. Outer bays are of C17 brick in English bond with moulded plinth and first floor entablature. Early C19 moulded brick eaves, traces of original gables. Windows in slight projections. Lower right-hand window has moulded brick surround with single lugs to jambs and restored plain keyblock. Other windows similar but altered, all with C20 leaded casements. Inner bays are of early C19 brick in English bond with moulded plinth and eaves. Similar 3-light casements to right, 2-light to left over C20 door with round arched radiating fanlight and wooden hood. Late C18 staircase from house in Wing (B1).
A watching brief carried out by KDK Archaeology in September 2014 during groundworks for a new orangery and underground wine cellar at the east end of the house identified a single small undated pit with flat base and near vertical sides cut through 0.7m of made ground deposits which were found to underly the building, forming a level platform. See report for detail (B2).
Watching brief on the north-eastern side of the Manor during ground works for the construction of an orangery identified 19th century clay-based made ground overlying a pit of same date (B3).
- <1>SBC20017 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Bucks: Aylesbury Vale: Parishes of Dunton &C. p1.
- <2>SBC24544 Unpublished document: KDK Archaeology Ltd. 2015. Archaeological Observation & Recording Report: Dunton Manor House, Hoggeston Road, Dunton.
- <3>SBC24758 Unpublished document: KDK Archaeology Ltd. 2015. Archaeological Observation & Recordong Report: Dunton Manor House, Hoggeston Road, Dunton, Buckinghamshire.
|Grid reference||SP 82326 24412 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||DUNTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Intervention: Archaeological observation and recording at Dunton Manor House (Ref: AYBCM:2014.58) (EBC17837)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (Ref: 055/DDM) (EBC17694)
Record last edited
Jul 28 2020 2:43PM