Monument record 0578800000 - AYLESBURY-BUCKINGHAM RLY
- SHINE: Remains of the 19th century former Aylesbury to Buckingham branch railway line, southeast of Verney Junction
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY (19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0021 km
Plan Form - LINEAR
AYLESBURY & BUCKINGHAM RAILWAY, WORKED BY GWR, OPENED 23 SEPT 1868, A SINGLE LINE JOINING LNWR AT VERNEY JUNCTION. FROM 1891 TAKEN OVER BY METROPOLITAN, WHICH DOUBLED TRACKS. THROUGH RUNNING BETWEEN BAKER STREET & VERNEY JUNCTION BEGAN 1897. TAKEN OVER BY LONDON TRANSPORT IN 1933 (B1-2). QUAINTON ROAD-VERNEY JCT CLOSED 6 JULY 1936 (GOODS 6 SEPT 1947) (FURTHER DETAIL, ILLUS & PLANS OF LINE & STATIONS) (B4).
NGR'S ARE TO QUAINTON ROAD-VERNEY JCT STRETCH ONLY. MOST OF FORMATION SURVIVES: N PART HAS LINE OF PYLONS ON IT. DEEP CUTTINGS NEAR HOGSHAW VISIBLE (B5).
(STATIONS: SEE 00:001-2;01:001).
In the 1930s bus competition affected passenger traffic and in July 1936 the Quainton Rd to Verney Junction passenger service was withdrawn. In 1939 this stretch was made single track (B9).
Historical account of the final days of the railway in 1936, including photos of railway structures and the line after track was lifted (B10).
- <1>SBC7396 Bibliographic reference: LELEUX R 1976 THE EAST MIDLANDS (REGIONAL HISTORY OF RAILWAYS OF GREAT BRITAIN VOL 9) PP34-37.
- <2>SBC3058 Bibliographic reference: COCKMAN F G 1972 THE RAILWAY ERA IN BUCKINGHAMSHIR E IN RECSOFBUCKS19PP156-168"".
- <3>SBC14563 Bibliographic reference: SIMPSON B 1978 THE BANBURY TO VERNEY JUNCTION BRAN CH.
- <4>SBC14564 Bibliographic reference: SIMPSON B 1985 THE BRILL TRAMWAY INCLUDING THE RAI LWAY FROM AYLESBURY TO VERNEY JUNCTION.
- <5>SBC12183 Unpublished document: PIKE A R (BCM) NOV 1991 FIELD VISIT.
- <6>SBC10315 Map: OS 1883,1885,1959 1:10560 MAPS.
- <7>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports.
- <8>SBC24228 Bibliographic reference: Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith. 2005. Country Railway Routes: Oxford to Bletchley Including Verney Junction to Banbury.
- <9>SBC23891 Bibliographic reference: Colin G Maggs. 2010. The Branch Lines of Buckinghamshire. page 83.
- <10>SBC23970 Bibliographic reference: Bill Simpson. 2011. Quainton Road Station and Other Stations in the Vale of Aylesbury. pages 12-21.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 74000 23340 (2177m by 8264m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLE CLAYDON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
|Civil Parish||QUAINTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
|Civil Parish||EAST CLAYDON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
|Civil Parish||HOGSHAW, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Field visit (EBC13533)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2018 1:23PM