Building record 0463200000 - ST MARY'S CHURCH, SAUNDERTON
- Listed Building (II*) 1332059: CHURCH OF ST MARY
- SHINE: Saunderton Iron Age to Roman settlement and medieval moated manor earthworks.
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Rebuilt 1888-1891, 14th Century to 19th Century - 1300 AD to 1899 AD)
SAUNDERTON FORMERLY HAD 2 CHURCHES, UNITED C.1459. OTHER CHURCH ALLOWED TO DECAY (B1-3)
ST. MARY'S: SMALL, MEAN BUILDING WITH LOW WOODEN BELL TURRET. ABOUT 20M BY 5M (B1).
CHURCH REBUILT BY J S ALDER, 1888-91, REUSING MUCH OF ORIGINAL FLINT RUBBLE & STONE DRESSINGS & RE-SET C14 WINDOWS (B4-5).
Grade II+. Parish church. Rebuilt 1888-91, incorporating restored C14 windows and doorways. Flint with stone dressings, tiled roofs, shingled bell- tower, timber-framed porch. 2-bay nave with bell-tower set in W. bay, 2-bay chancel, N. vestry, S. porch. 2-light traceried windows, mostly with Y tracery, the nave with similar 3-light window to N. and single cusped light over main W. window. C19 3-light traceried E. window; pair of lights with 4-centred heads and Tudor hoodmould in S. wall of chancel. Moulded S. doorway with carved head label stops; small blocked N. doorway with chamfered arch and label; small blocked doorway to S. of chancel. Bell-tower has louvred openings and pyramidal roof. Interior: timber frame of bell-tower is probably C15 with crossed braces. Cusped piscina. C19 roofs. Fittings: C12-C13 font, a smaller version of the "Aylesbury" type with fluted bowl, carved foliage frieze, part of cable moulding, and later base; screen incorporating medieval traceried panels; small medieval floor tiles re-set in vestry; 2 C18-C19 painted texts; C19 glass and other fittings. Small brass with half-figure of Isabella Saunterdon (B6).
- <1>SBC7725 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP 627-628.
- <2>SBC6906 Bibliographic reference: KELKE W H 1865 DESECRATED CHURCHES IN BUCKS, RECSOFBUCKS3PP124-126"".
- <3>SBC5682 Bibliographic reference: GIBBS R 1888 STATE OF THE BUCKS PARISH CHURCHES IN C16 & C17, RECSOFBUCKS6P159"".
- <4>SBC12695 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P276.
- <5>SBC11736 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P231.
- <6>SBC20224 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Buckinghamshire: Wycombe District: Parishes of Bledlow &C. p13.
- <7>SBC5527 Bibliographic reference: G E SCRIMGEOUR, MARCH 1988, FROM CASS 00367.
|Grid reference||SP 79555 01887 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||BLEDLOW-CUM-SAUNDERTON, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 11 2017 11:11AM