Monument record 0447400000 - NORTH OF BRADENHAM HILL FM charcoal burners site
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- CHARCOAL BURNERS SITE? (19th Century - 1800 AD? to 1899 AD?)
Plan Form - SUBCIRCULAR
GROUP OF 4 ROUGHLY CIRCULAR ENCLOSURES WITH SMALL EXTERNAL DITCH & INTERNAL BANK C.0.5M HIGH. INTERIOR OF 1 SLIGHTLY RAISED BUT FLAT. BANKS SIMILAR TO ADJACENT FIELD BOUNDARIES. MARKED ON 1847 TITHE MAP & OS 1ST EDITION. PERHAPS A CHARCOAL BURNING SITE: COPPICE WOOD NEARBY (B1-5). NAT TRUST SURVEY (B6).
A magnetometer survey carried out in 1978 noted that the site is visible as a dark soil mark against a much lighter subsoil. Within the area there were patches of charcoal and traces of red oxidized clay. The survey noted that the site was covered in anomalies registering 20-30 gamma consistent wtjh a number of hearths or ovens or fired clay dumps affected by dispersal. The larger anomaly in the eastern section could have resulted from a small short-lived kiln, but no evidence of its walls was found in the ploughsoil (B7).
Group of 4 enclosures recorded by Northants Archaeology during woodland survey. Westernmost enclosure described as a circular or sub-circular enclosure 14m to 14.5m wide, defined by a shallow bank 1.3m wide with a shallow external ditch 1m wide. Top of bank from base of ditch is 0.5m. The interior appears dished and there is a possible entrance on the north side, 1m to 1.3m wide. Gazetteer no.150536 (a), Southernmost enclosure described as ovoid, 15m long by 14m wide, defined by a shallow bank 1.6m wide with a shallow external ditch 1m wide. Top of bank from base of ditch is 0.5m. The interior appears dished. Gazetteer no. 150536 (b). Easternmost enclosure described as sub-circular 15m long by 14m wide, defined by a shallow bank 1.6m wide with a shallow external ditch 1m wide. Top of bank from base of ditch is 0.5m. Gazetteer no. 150536 [c). Central enclosure described as circular or sub-circular enclosure 14m to 14.5m wide, defined by a shallow bank 2m wide with a shallow external ditch 1m wide. Top of bank from base of ditch is 0.5m. The interior appears dished with a maximum depth of 1m and there is a possible entrance on the north-east side, 1m to 1.5m wide. The centre was waterlogged and the earthworks considerably degraded at the time of survey. Gazetteer no. 156903. All enclosures interpreted as possible animal pounds associated with the droveway (B8).
- <1>SBC8062 Bibliographic reference: M E FARLEY APRIL 1979 (SITE REPORTED BY MR T HUSSEY).
- <2>SBC1799 Map: BRADENHAM TITHE MAP & APPORTIONMENT, 1847: DEPT OF WESTERN MSS, BODLEDAN LIBRARY, OXFORD, JAN 1980 (.
- <3>SBC10131 Map: OS 1874/85 1ST EDIT. 6 INCH MAP.
- <4>SBC800 Bibliographic reference: BAKER,A R H & HARLEY J B 1973 MAN MADE THE LAND P1 05 FIGS 133 & 134 (PHOTOCOPY OF ILLUS OF CHARCOAL.
- <5>SBC2494 Bibliographic reference: CAS CARD 4474.
- <6>SBC8255 Unpublished document: W L Matthews & Angus Wainwright. 1990. THE NATIONAL TRUST ARCHAEOLOGICAL SURVEY: BRADENHAM.
- <7>SBC19909 Unpublished document: Brendan Grimley. 1978. Report of magnetic survey carried out near Arngove's Charcoal Burner's complex.
- <8>SBC22455 Unpublished document: Northamptonshire Archaeology. 2004. Bradenham Manor: Archaeological Woodland Survey.
|Grid reference||SU 83360 96920 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRADENHAM, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Intervention: Magnetic survey of charcoal burners sites on Naphill Common (EBC16204)
- Event - Survey: Woodland survey (EBC16622)
Record last edited
Feb 14 2003 11:26AM