Building record 0440901001 - CLIVEDEN: 19th Century Country House
- Listed Building (I) 1125041: CLIVEDEN
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Plan Form - E shaped.
Grade I. Circa 1850-1 by Sir Charles Barry on the site of, and of the same general dimensions and layout as, the house built by William Winde circa 1674-7 for George Villiers, 2nd Duke of Buckingham. ENTRANCE (NORTH) FAÇADE. In a Cinquecento style. Three storeys; 9 bays. Ground floor with central 3-bay porte cochere of 1869 by H Clutton with coupled Tuscan columns flanked by arched windows in Gibbs surrounds. Upper floors rusticated and with front Ionic pilasters: First floor windows with pediments and blank balconies. Second floor windows in moulded surrounds. Frieze with incised Latin inscription. Balustrade with urns. Left and right low balustraded quadrants with attached Tuscan columns link up with side wings at right angles to the centre. The wings are 2-storeyed and of 7 bays, the central 3 advanced somewhat. Interior altered and redecorated by J Loughborough Pearson for Lord Astor in 1890s and has a genuine Francois-Premier fireplace in the hall and genuine French Rococo panelling from the chateau of Asmores of circa 1755 in the dining room. GARDEN (SOUTH) FAÇADE. Generally similar to the entrance front but with a single-storeyed extra bay either side and standing high above 2 terraces. For the terraces SEE items 3/670 and 3/671. Sources - Books and journals: 'Country Life' in 24 February, (1977), 'Country Life' in 14 December, , Vol. 7, (1912); Other: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire (B7).
- <1>SBC15712 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP241,243.
- <2>SBC5608 Bibliographic reference: GENTS MAGAZINE LIBRARY ENGLISH TOPOGRAPHY P28 7.
- <3>SBC7745 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP296-297.
- <4>SBC14364 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN PP 854-855.
- <5>SBC11687 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE PP98-99 & PL61A.
- <6>SBC9891 Bibliographic reference: NATIONAL TRUST 1977 PROPERTIES OF....
- <7>SBC4001 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKINGHAMSHIRE: DISTRICT OF SOUTH BUCKS.
- <8>SBC4637 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 1994. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England: Buckinghamshire. Part 4.
- <21>SBC24340 Unpublished document: Cotswold Archaeology. 2010. Cliveden Hotel: Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment.
|Grid reference||SU 91020 85180 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TAPLOW, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2022 3:44PM