Monument record 0034501000 - HOGSHAW
- Ancient Monument 1405586: Preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers, associated fishponds, medieval settlement of Hogshaw and the site of the medieval church of St John the Baptist, 200m south of Hogshaw Farm
Type and Period (4)
- HOSPITALLERS PRECEPTORY (12th Century to 15th Century - 1100 AD to 1499 AD)
- BUILDING? (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
SURVEY OF MONASTERY IN 1338: SMALL WITH COURT, GARDEN ETC. PROB FOUNDED DURING HENRY II'S REIGN; SUPRESSED 1541 (B6).
COMMANDERY FOUNDED 1180; DISSOLVED 1470 (B8).
COMMANDERY OF KNIGHTS HOSPITALLERS PROBABLY STOOD CLOSE TO CHURCH. MENTIONED BEFORE 1180 BUT DISSOLVED BEFORE 1540 (B10).
2 substantial stone walls recorded during watching brief on service trenching carried out in July 2003 by Archaeological Services and Consultancy. The walls were 5m apart, aligned N-S and lay to the SE of the moat. Interpreted as possible remains of preceptory buildings. Preserved in situ. A fragment of moulded limestone, probably part of a window mullion was recovered from 19th and 20th century make-up layers during groundworks for the conversion of a post-medieval ox barn (B13).
Scheduled in June 2013. See Scheduling documents for detail (B15).
- <6>SBC15271 Article in serial: VCH BUCKS 1 P390;2 P63;4 PP54-56 (& SEE LARKIN L B 1877 KNIGHTS HOSPITALLERS IN ENGLAND IN CAMDEN SOC 65).
- <8>SBC7158 Bibliographic reference: KNOWLES D & HADCOCK R N 1971 MEDIEVAL RELIGIOUS HOUSES, ENGLAND & WALES; 2ND EDITION PP300,304.
- <10>SBC10708 Bibliographic reference: OS RECORD CARD SP 72 SW 1 (FILED).
- <13>SBC22180 Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2003. Watching Brief & Salvage Recording: Claydon Road, Hogshaw.
- <15>SBC24352 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England: Schedule of Monuments.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 7381 2246 (380m by 360m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HOGSHAW, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14201)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief and salvage recording (Ref: HCR03) (EBC16508)
Record last edited
Jun 24 2019 12:58PM