Building record 0420805000 - STOWE SCHOOL CHAPEL
- Listed Building (II) 1289789: SCHOOL CHAPEL
- SHINE: Stowe medieval to post medieval landscape garden, medieval deserted villages of Lamport & Boycott, shrunken village of Daford, also moats, manors and fishponds, ridge and furrow earthworks & cropmarks, and areas of ancient semi natural woodland
Type and Period (2)
- CHAPEL (Built 1927-1929, Modern - 1927 AD to 1999 AD)
- (Alternate Type) PRIVATE CHAPEL (20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0055 m Width 0017
Plan Form - SUBRECTANGULAR
Grade II. Basilican chapel. 1927-9 by Sir Robert Lorimer. Ashlar stone. Large Corinthian pedimented portico with steps at south end, flank walls have projecting bay at each end with corinthian pilasters and carved spandrels to round-headed windows: 5 windows between; balustraded parapet above. Interior: 7 arches each side supported on fluted Ionic columns taken from the Temple of Concord and Winged Victory [CAS 0420802009]. Carved and gilded early C18 cedar panelling in sanctuary and under (ritual) west gallery brought from former chapel in the Mansion, as were the pulpit, lectern and altar rails (B14).
The Temple of Baccus was demolished to make way for the building of the school's new chapel (B18).
- ---SBC17422 Aerial Photograph: 04/09/76. BCM A2/11/20-22. SP\674376. Yes.
- <14>SBC3681 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1983. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p26.
- <18>SBC19992 Unpublished document: Angus Wainwright. 1989. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Stowe. pp52.
|Grid reference||SP 67258 37350 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||STOWE, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13583)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2016 11:01AM