Building record 0420801002 - Leoni Arches, N FRONT OF MANSION, STOWE
- Listed Building (I) 1211919: ARCHES AT EACH END OF NORTH FRONT OF MANSION
- SHINE: Stowe medieval to post medieval landscape garden, medieval deserted villages of Lamport & Boycott, shrunken village of Daford, also moats, manors and fishponds, ridge and furrow earthworks & cropmarks, and areas of ancient semi natural woodland
Type and Period (1)
- ARCH (Built about 1740, 18th Century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
Grade I. Pair of Doric-Baroque arches at the outer ends of the north front composition at right angles to the facade of the house. Circa 1740; architect Leoni. Ashlar stone. Pediments above, large scrolls each side to flanking stone walls, which link arches to smaller pedimented niches (B14).
- <14>SBC3681 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1983. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p24.
|Grid reference||Centred SP 67434 37504 (167m by 87m) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||STOWE, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13583)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (EBC16233)
Record last edited
Feb 15 2013 5:08PM