Building record 0415200000 - ST MARY'S CHURCH
- Listed Building (I) 1124210: CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval parish church of St Mary and earthworks of Medieval manorial moat and fishponds
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (12th Century to 15th Century - 1100 AD? to 1499 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0029 m Width 0015
CONSIDERABLY REBUILT & RESTORED & EARLY HISTORY OBSCURE. EARLIEST DETAIL IS FONT - MID C12 (B4).
Grade I. Parish Church. Mainly C15 but re-using C13 and C14 material, restored C19. Flint with clunch blocks, used in chequer on tower; later limestone dressings, bands of ironstone alternating with clunch ashlar to chancel. Lead roofs. West tower, aisled nave with clerestory, N. porch and chancel, all with battlemented parapets. Mainly square headed windows, 3-light with hoodmoulds to C16 clerestory, cusped lights to C15 belfry and aisle windows; 4-centred arched windows with cusped lights, to side of Chancel, 5-light square headed E. window. Interior 4-bay arcaded nave, S. aisle E. window has a sill carved with frieze of quatrefoils and shields. C15 timber roofs. Fittings: C12 tub font with arcading, old seats at W. end of nave. Glass in E, window, original C15 stained glass made to fit the window, ten Apostles. N. window of chancel has panel of C15 stained glass . Brasses in chancel to 2 Knights, both C14, and one to a priest 1531. Monument in chancel to Lord & Lady Newhaven d.1728 & 32, by William Woodman the Elder (c.1654-1731) "one of the most outstanding monuments in England" (Gunnis). Reredos background with Corinthian columns and an open scrolled pediment with semi-reclining figure on a grey sarcophagus against a grey obelisk. Seated figure of Lady Newhaven to RH of the white base of the monument; to the LH the coronet on a cushion. RCHM I p.135. MON.1 (B6).
- ---SBC20715 Aerial Photograph: Michael Farley. 2001. 2001 oblique AP by Mike Farley. SP89281260. Yes.
- <1>SBC7752 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP334-337.
- <2>SBC14443 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN PP665-667.
- <3>SBC15742 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP343-344.
- <4>SBC12770 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP135-137.
- <5>SBC10400 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1960. OS 1960 6-INCH MAP. 1:10,560.
- <6>SBC19351 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p27.
- <7>SBC4644 Bibliographic reference: ENGRAVING OF BRASS OF SIR THOMAS CHEYNE (1375) IN DRYDEN COLLECTION,NORTHAMPTON LIBRARY..
|Grid reference||SP 90154 11882 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||DRAYTON BEAUCHAMP, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC136)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2012 11:59AM