Building record 0414200000 - ST MICHAEL & ALL ANGELS CHURCH, ASTON CLINTON
- Listed Building (II*) 1124228: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval parish church of St Michael and site of Medieval manor of Aston Clinton
Type and Period (2)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1849-50, 1858, ?1867, 13th Century to 19th Century - 1200 AD to 1899 AD)
- WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
Grade II*. Parish Church. C14 and C15 restored. Flint with some clunch, limestone dressings. E. wall cement rendered Embattled west tower and aisles; chancel, N. and S. porches the latter raised to 2 storeys C19. Steep tiled roof to nave, chancel and porches. Square headed C15 windows to aisles; pointed traceried C14 windows to chancel, all restored. Interior: 3 bay arcades, C13 to S., C14 to N., with alternating octagonal and circular piers( S. arcade with broaches at bases of arches. C14 chancel aisle, and ornate sedilia and piscina and 'Easter Sepulchre' recess opposite, all with ogee arches. C14 tower arch. Upper part of tower built 1800. Fragment of wall painting in chancel. RCHM I p.18 MON.1 (B6).
- <1>SBC7658 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 2 PP88-93.
- <2>SBC14481 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN PP87-88.
- <3>SBC20461 Bibliographic reference: William Page (ed). 1908. A History of Buckinghamshire (Victoria County History) Volume II. Volume 2. pp316-318.
- <4>SBC13047 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 PP18-20.
- <5>SBC10400 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1960. OS 1960 6-INCH MAP. 1:10,560.
- <6>SBC19351 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p2.
|Grid reference||SP 87920 11950 (point)|
|Civil Parish||ASTON CLINTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC136)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2022 2:17PM