Balustrade along the lower part of the Palladian Bridge, Stowe Landscape GardensBalusters are pillars or pedestals of bellied form. If used in a handrail or coping, the whole is called a balustrade. Balustrades are often used in gardens, such as the west front of Fawley Court, and also for interior staircases. A blind balustrade is the same applied to a wall surface.