Evaluate a reconstruction
Look at the attached reconstruction of the Saxon settlement at the orchard site, Walton, and look at the accompanying text about the site and the other images your teacher gives you. Look at the West Stow website to see other reconstructed Saxon houses. Create a spider diagram around the picture to come up with ideas about what the archaeologist who drew the reconstruction based it on. Use different colours for each of the following lines of enquiry:
- Evidence from the site (archaeological and documentary)
- Evidence from other similar sites
- Evidence from other visual sources
- Evidence of personal imagination
- Usefulness of reconstruction
- Bits that are not useful
Write a report based on what evidence has been used to create this reconstruction. Group all the words or sentences of the same colour together in the report.
Go back for more Archaeological skills and concepts.