Building record 0430900000 - RICKFORD'S HILL MEETING HOUSE
- Listed Building (II) 1462408: Aylesbury Quaker Meeting House
Type and Period (4)
- FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE (Built 1727, 18th Century to 21st Century - 1700 AD to 2099 AD)
- SCHOOL (19th Century - 1845 AD to 1878 AD?)
- BAPTIST CHAPEL (19th Century - 1878 AD? to 1899 AD?)
- CHAPEL? (20th Century to Modern - 1900 AD? to 1933 AD?)
Dimensions - Length 0012 m Width 0005
Plan Form - RECTANGULAR
PLAIN, BRICK & TILE. LAST USED BY FRIENDS, DEC 1841 (B1-2).
RE-OPENED BY QUAKERS,1933. AT NGR (B3).
BEGUN 1703. PRESENT MEETING HOUSE ERECTED 1727. SMALL BRICK BLDG WITH HIPPED TILE ROOF. SE END WALL, NOW INTERNAL, IS TIMBER-FRAMED. PLAIN PANELLED INTERIOR. WALL BENCHES (GROUND PLAN, ILLUS, FURTHER DETAIL)(B4).
Built 1727, small rectangular building of brick with a hipped tiled roof (further detail & ground plan) (B5).
Summary bibliography (B6).
In 1704 tenements on Rickfords Hill were acquired by the Quakers and in 1703 a newly erected meeting house in the yard behind the tenements was registered. In 1726 further land behind the tenements was acquired and the present meeting house built, opening in 1727. Access was via the passageway at the side of one of the frontage properties and the remainder of the site was used as a burial ground, and the frontage properties let. In 1810 a porch was added and the meeting room divided by shutters, possibly to create a second smaller room. A brick side extension and entrance was added sometime before 1878. The Meeting was discontinued in 1836 and the building let as a school from 1845, later becoming a Baptist chapel and then used by the YMCA. The Meeting revived in the 20th century and the meeting house was restored by Walter Rose and Sam North, re-opening in 1933. Further refurbishments by Malcolm Barnett were made in 2010. (See report for detailed description and photos)(B7).
Grade II. Quaker meeting house, built in 1726-27. An extension to the south-east was added, probably in the early C19. Refurbished in 1933 and 2010. Reasons for Designation: Architectural interest - as a well-preserved, early-C18 meeting house, typical of the vernacular architectural style associated with the Quaker movement; - for its characterful interior retaining its dado panelling; Historic interest - the discreet location and modest architectural style of the building are expressive of the early history of the Quaker movement (B8).
- <1>SBC5653 Bibliographic reference: Robert Gibbs. 1885. A History of Aylesbury. pp454-456.
- <2>SBC15600 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 P5.
- <3>SBC3424 Bibliographic reference: DAVIS E J 1978 THE QUAKERS IN AYLESBURY.
- <4>SBC12572 Bibliographic reference: RCHM 1986 INVENTORY OF NONCONFORMIST CHAPELS & MEE TING-HOUSES:BUCKINGHAMSHIRE PP5-6.
- <5>SBC12553 Bibliographic reference: Christopher Stell (RCHME). 1986. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses: Buckinghamshire.
- <6>SBC23365 Unpublished document: M Farley. 2000. Churches, chapels and other religious meeting places in Aylesbury to c.1920: a short bibliography of published references.
- <7>SBC24786 Unpublished document: Architectural History Practice. 2015. Friends Meeting House, Aylesbury.
- <8>SBC25308 Digital archive: Historic England. 2019. National Heritage List for England: Listing Entry.
|Grid reference||SP 81815 13705 (point)|
|Civil Parish||AYLESBURY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: (EBC13463)
Record last edited
May 3 2020 1:43PM