Building record 0027400000 - ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH, CHENIES
- Listed Building (I) 1158585: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval parish church of St Michael, Chenies
Type and Period (2)
- PARISH CHURCH (15th Century to Modern - 1400 AD to 1999 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (12th Century to 15th Century - 1100 AD to 1499 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0029 m Width 0020
CHURCH BUILT C12; ONLY FONT REMAINS, AS ENTIRELY REBUILT IN C15. C15/C16 BRASSES IN FLOOR. BEDFORD CHAPEL ADDED 1556, ENLARGED 1906. CHURCH RESTORED 1861, 1887 (FULL ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION,ILLUSTRATIONS)(B4).
DESCRIPTION & LIST OF RECTORS (B2-3).
Grade I. C15, chancel, nave, south aisle and west tower. North chapel (Bedford Chapel) added 1556, rebuilt, then enlarged 1906. Church heavily restored and substantially rebuilt 1861 and 1887. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Two stage west tower with south-east stair turret, embattled parapet. Four bay nave south aisle. Piers of 4 shafts and 4 hollows, 4-centred arches and 4-light C15 aisle windows. Arches on north into Bedford Chapel. Modern chancel arch. Arch into Bedford Chapel with panelled soffit and jambs, 1556. Stained glass, C16 donor in east window and C14 St Andrew in Bedford Chapel. C16 saint also. Font: Norman enriched tub. Brasses in nave, C15, C16. Bedford Chapel collection of monuments of the very highest quality and importance to the Russell family, Earls and Dukes of Bedford.
1. John Russell, 1st Earl 1555 and wife 1559. Tomb chest with effigies.
2. Lady Bridget, 1600, also tomb chest with effigy.
3. Ann, Countess of Warwick, 1604, tomb chest and effigy.
4. Elizabeth, Lady Russell, 1611, tomb chest and effigy.
5. Lady Frances Bourchier, 1612, tomb chest.
6. 2nd Earl, 1619 by William Cure II, tomb chest with effigies.
7. Lady Chandos, 1623, semi-reclining figure on base.
8. 4th Earl, 1641 and wife 1653. Alabaster. Tomb chest with effigies, back wall with 2 arches and big open pediment.
9. 5th Earl and 1st Duke of Bedford, 1700. Marble pairs of Corinthian columns with oval portrait medallions between 2 life-size seated figures. Baldacchino above.
10. 2nd Duke and Duchess. Made 1769 by Joseph Wilton to designs by Sir William Chambers. White alabaster. Youth and maiden separated by clouds. Putti over.
11. Georgiana, 1858, by Richard Westmacott the Younger. Gothic arch with knobbly foliage. Praying lady in profile.
12. 1st Earl Russell, 1878.
13. Odo, Baron Ampthill, 1884 by Boehm.
14. 9th Duke 1891, by G E Fox in Jacobean style.
15. Lord Arthur Russell 1892 by Alfred Gilbert in Art Nouveau style.
16 C14 monument to a Cheyne and his wife. Table tomb with effigies, his never completed.
RCHM I 88 MON.2; C.L. 14.10.1982 (B1).
- <1>SBC19433 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. pp17-18.
- <2>SBC7741 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP251-261.
- <3>SBC15689 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP201-203.
- <4>SBC12866 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP88-90.
- <5>SBC11278 Bibliographic reference: OS RECORD CARD TQ 09 NW 14 (FILED).
- <6>SBC15199 Graphic material: UNSIGNED & UNDATED ?ARCHITECT'S PLAN OF CHURCH ANNOTATED WITH ?HEATING PIPES & ?BOILER-ROOM IN BRO .
|Grid reference||TQ 01576 98362 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||CHENIES, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13592)
Record last edited
Jun 5 2020 7:48PM