Building record 0002108000 - GROVE FARM
- Ancient Monument BU50: Moated site at Grove Farm, Ashley Green
- Listed Building (II) 1124858: GROVE FARM
Type and Period (3)
- BARN (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD) + Sci.Date
- HOUSE (Altered 1970s, 20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- (Former Type) CHAPEL? (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
Plan Form - Rectangular.
Barn said to have been chapel (04:000). Little evidence for this (B3).
Barn has defences of ramparts (02:000) & moats (01:000) probably of C15. Wall heightened in C17 (B6).
Foundations found (B7).
Barn converted into a house (B1, note 7).
Grade II. C15 barn, now converted into a house with c.1970 additions. Three bays. Knapped flint with ashlar and red brick quoins. Roof raised C17. Old tile roof. North-east lower wing also C15 but with modern roof. Modern additions to north and south infill central car entry. East elevation with close-studded timber-framed gable, modern first floor window and restored 2-light stone mullioned ground floor window. North wing with restored C15 stone 2-centred arched doorway. South elevation with one storey additions and central entry. West elevation with close studded timber-framed gable. Queen strut roof trusses(B13).
Dendro-dating obtains a felling date of 1499-1500 for roof timber from butt purlin. See report (filed) for description of roof (B14).
- <1>SBC1314 Bibliographic reference: BCM CAS RECORD CARD 0021.
- <3>SBC6927 Article in serial: W H Kelke. 1848-1856. 'THE DESTROYED AND DESECRATED CHURCHES OF BUCKINGHAMSHIRE: THE DEANERY OF BURNHAM', IN RECS OF BUCKS 1 PP125-126.
- <6>SBC12779 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP16-17 PLP 30.
- <7>SBC13259 Article in serial: RECS OF BUCKS 17. 1961 NOTES PP88.
- <13>SBC19433 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p2.
- <14>SBC22686 Digital archive: Vernacular Architecture Group. 2000 onwards. Vernacular Architecture Group: Dendrochronology Database. VA vol 29 p111.
|Grid reference||SP 98600 04270 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||ASHLEY GREEN, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 16 2020 2:33PM