Monument record 0291801000 - THE PREBENDAL, AYLESBURY
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- HILLFORT (Early Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 700 BC to 42 AD)
Hillfort ditch over 3m deep, traced to over 20m along hill slope, may have enclosed 10ha (B4).
Bank had been levelled (B3).
Lack of evidence for hillfort ditch or Iron Age occupation in former bus depot site on Buckingham Street; location of hillfort defences suggested as lying on eastern side of Buckingham Street, amongst other possibilities discussed (B5).
Lack of evidence for hillfort ditch or bank in service trench in King's Head Passage (B7).
Oxford Archaeology carried out historic building recording and watching brief at Prebendal House during conversion works from 2008-2010. The archaeological watching brief revealed a substantial north-south aligned linear feature to the west of the site. Although no securely datable artefactual evidence was recovered during the watching brief, a comparison with the alignment of a section of the Iron Age hillfort ditch excavated to the north in 1985 would suggest that this feature is likely to represent the southern continuation of the western line of the Iron Age or Saxon defensive circuit. The feature was cut by 3 pits, one of which contained 14th century pottery. See report for detail (B9).
- <3>SBC4926 Article in serial: Mike Farley. 1986. INTERIM REPORT IN SOUTH MIDLANDS ARCHAEOLOGY 16 PP37-38. Vol 16.
- <4>SBC4925 Article in serial: Mike Farley. 1986. 'AYLESBURY' (ARTICLE ON PREBENDAL SITE), IN CURRENT ARCHAEOLOGY NO 101 PP187-189. No 101.
- <5>SBC22457 Unpublished document: Sutton Archaeological Services. 2002. Evaluation Report on 3 Granville Place/Buckingham Street, Aylesbury.
- <7>SBC22965 Unpublished document: David Radford (BCC). 2007. Recorded Observation; King's Head Passage.
- <8>SBC24295 Bibliographic reference: Michael Farley & Gillian Jones. 2012. Iron Age Ritual: a Hillfort and Evidence for a Minster at Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.
- <9>SBC24239 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeology. 2012. Prebendal House, Aylesbury: Historic Buildings Recording and Archaeological Watching Brief.
|Grid reference||SP 81640 13945 (point)|
|Civil Parish||AYLESBURY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation and watching brief (Ref: AYP 85) (EBC10653)
- Event - Intervention: Historic Building Recording and Watching Brief (Ref: AYPREB 08) (EBC17526)
- Event - Intervention: Observation of cable trench in King's Head Passage (EBC16869)
Record last edited
Nov 2 2020 9:49PM