Building record 0281403000 - ST MARY'S CHURCH
- Listed Building (II*) 1214530: CHURCH OF ST MARY
Type and Period (3)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1857, 12th Century to 19th Century - 1100 AD to 1899 AD)
- WAR MEMORIAL (Modern - 1901 AD to 1999 AD)
- PLAQUE (Modern - 1901 AD to 1999 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0023 m Width 0012
SMALL FABRIC: BODY, 2 AISLES & CHANCEL. SQUARE W TOWER, 3 BELLS (B1).
C14 TOWER, ARCADES & CHANCEL ARCH. REMAINDER REBUILT BY G E STREET, 1857. CHANCEL HAS PILLAR PISCINA OF REUSED C12 SHAFT & CAPITAL. EARLY C17 FLEMISH GLASS IN WINDOWS. LATE C15 W DOORWAY. FURTHER DESCRIPTION (B3-5,B9).
Grade II+. Parish church. C14 tower, arcades and chancel arch. Restored and remainder rebuilt by G.E. Street 1857. Coursed rubble stone, tiled roofs to S. porch and chancel, copper roofs to nave and aisles. W. tower of three stages with offset diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapet and 2-light Perpendicular openings to bell chamber. Perpendicular W. door and 2-light window above. Nave has three round clerestory windows with C19 tracery. C19 aisles and chancel have decorated windows under labels with carved stops. Aisles are continued to flank tower. Steeply gabled S. porch. Lean-to vestry to N. of chancel. Interior: W. tower has tall 2-centred double chamfered arches to nave and aisles. Nave of three bays has arcades of two centred chamfered arches continuous with piers. Similar double chamfered chancel arch with moulded caps and bases to semi-octagonal shafts. Chancel has pillar piscina of re-used C12 shaft and capital. Early C17 Flemish glass panels set in windows, C19 glass in E. window. Other fittings C19. Marble wall monuments : plaque to Sir John Busby 1705 with bust above and surround of military trophies; monument to Thomas Busby 1753 by M. Rysbrack with cherub, broken column and obelisk behind; Anne Busby c.1800 by H. Hopper of London with weeping woman and urn; other plaques to Busby family. RCHM II p 53 (B10).
AT NGR (B11).
Detailed architectural and historical study (B14).
Chapel with associated plaque within the building is a war memorial dedicated to seven local people who died in action during WW1. The stone plaque measures 58cm (h) by 35cm (w) and is in good condition. Photographs and details of the wardead (B12-13).
- ---SBC18741 Aerial Photograph: 28/05/47. RAF 117.3090. SP\744282. Yes.
- <1>SBC16697 Bibliographic reference: WILLIS B 1755 HISTORY & ANTIQUITIES OF BUCKINGHAM PP111-118.
- <3>SBC13125 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 PP53-54.
- <4>SBC20463 Bibliographic reference: William Page (ed). 1927. A History of Buckinghamshire (Victoria County History) Volume IV. Volume 4. pp137-139.
- <5>SBC11757 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P45.
- <9>SBC3082 Article in serial: W Cole. 1980. 'THE NETHERLANDISH GLASS IN ST MARY'S CHURCH, ADDINGTON', IN RECS OF BUCKS 22 PP73-91 & PLATES I-IV. Vol 22.
- <10>SBC19250 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1983. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p3.
- <11>SBC10473 Map: OS 1977 1:2500 MAP.
- <12>SBC24038 Digital archive: June, Peter & Martin Underwood. 2011. Buckinghamshire Remembers database.
- <13>SBC24036 Digital archive: Imperial War Museum. 2011. UK National Inventory of War Memorials. 8064.
- <14>SBC22204 Monograph: David Critchley. 2004. Addington Church: an Architectural and Historical Study.
|Grid reference||SP 74260 28490 (point)|
|Civil Parish||ADDINGTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit by Historic Buildings Officer (EBC13585)
Record last edited
Aug 14 2022 8:35PM