Monument record 0243600000 - PARK WOOD
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- WINDMILL MOUND? (Medieval to Post-Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1798 AD?)
- PROSPECT MOUND? (Post-Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1798 AD?)
Dimensions - Height 0175 cm Radius 0750
Plan Form - CIRCULAR
FLAT TOPPED MOUND SURROUNDED BY DITCH 3M ACROSS,0.5M DEEP. 2-3M WIDE CAUSEWAY ON N SIDE. TRENCH CUT IN TO TOP: EXCAVATION? TREE ON MOUND 100+ YEARS OLD. DISCOVERED BY D BARKER. COULD BE WINDMILL MOUND OR MAYBE A PROSPECT MOUND(BI1-2)
This feature is actually slightly oval in shape, measuring 28m E-W, 24m N-S and between 1.5 and 2m in height. It is surrounded by a ditch up to 3m wide and 0.5m deep. The ditch probably provided most of the material for the mound. The ditch is interrupted by a small causeway on the west side and a later sawpit in the north side. The top of the mound is flat and appears to have been dug in to, possibly in an early unrecorded archaeological excavation. It is probably too well-preserved to be a Bronze Age barrow, too small for a windmill mound. It could be a pillow mound for rabbit warrening or a Saxon moot mound. It could be a prospect mound or site of a prospect tower (B3)
- <1>SBC822 Bibliographic reference: BARKER MR D & FARLEY M E, DEC.1976.
- <2>SBC8255 Unpublished document: W L Matthews & Angus Wainwright. 1990. THE NATIONAL TRUST ARCHAEOLOGICAL SURVEY: BRADENHAM.
- <3>SBC22843 Unpublished document: National Trust. 2006. Bradenham Woods Historic Landscape Survey. p7-8.
|Grid reference||SU 82430 98230 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRADENHAM, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Bradenham Woods Historic Landscape Survey (EBC16772)
Record last edited
Jul 18 2018 3:12PM