Building record 0242300000 - ST BOTOLPH'S CHURCH, BRADENHAM
- Listed Building (II*) 1125779: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval parish church of St Botolph, Bradenham
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (12th Century to 19th Century - 1100 AD to 1899 AD)
Grade II+. Parish church. Nave originally c.1100, with C15-early C16 W. tower; N. chapel added 1542 by William, second Lord Windsor; chancel rebuilt 1863-5 by G.E. Street; C19 S. porch. Flint with stone dressings, the N. chapel rendered. W. tower is of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses, moulded parapet, paired lights with 4-centred heads to bell-chamber, and similar single light to S. side. W. side has 3-light Perpendicular window over moulded doorway with depressed arch and Tudor hoodmould. Canted stair projection on N. side. Nave has 2 bays of C14-C15 2-light traceried windows, very much restored. Romanesque S. doorway with inner and outer roll-mouldings, flanking half-columns, blind tympanum, and lintel with diaper and cable ornament. Chancel has traceried windows, one 2-light to S. and 3-light to E. N. chapel has W. door with moulded 4-centred arch, terracotta panel with stag's head, partly blocked entry to crypt, and windows with 4-centred heads, 2 2-light to N., 3-light to E. Interior has wide unmoulded arch to tower and C19 double-chamfered chancel arch. C19 piscina, sedilia and arches to N. chapel. 1742 altar, early C20 communion rails by Canon Vernon Staley, C20 screen and rood. Some C16-C17 heraldic glass in N. chapel, 1887 Jubilee window in tower. Other fittings C19 and C20. Black and white marble monument with caryatids in N. chapel, in memory of Charles West, 1684, attributed to William Kidwell. RCHM I.p.61-62. Records of Bucks XV p.34 (B8).
FLINT WITH STONE DRESSINGS. NAVE C.1100, W TOWER C15, N CHAPEL ADDED 1542 BY WILLIAM, 2ND LORD WINDSOR. CHANCEL REBUILT 1865 BY G E STREET. C19 SOUTH PORCH (B1-4).
DESC. OF CHURCH IN C17 (B5).
ALTHOUGH NORMAN, S DOORWAY HAS SAXON-LOOKING ELEMENTS & NAVE HAS SAXON PROPORTIONS. ?SAXON FOUNDATIONS (B4,B6-7).
A collection of sketches of Buckinghamshire churches done by Charlotte Pigott, wife of George Pigott, squire of Doddershall in Quainton parish, in the early 1840s (B10)
- <1>SBC7787 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP556-558.
- <2>SBC15751 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP36-37.
- <3>SBC12854 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP61-62.
- <4>SBC11764 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P70-71.
- <5>SBC5701 Bibliographic reference: GIBBS R 1889 STATE OF THE BUCKS PARISH CHURCHES IN C16 & C17, RECSOFBUCKS6PP256-257"".
- <6>SBC7135 Bibliographic reference: KNIGHT R G ANGLO-SAXON CHURCHES OF CENTRAL & S BUC KS PP50-52 & FIG5 15-16 (TYPESCRIPT THESIS; COPYA.
- <7>SBC7089 Bibliographic reference: KEYSER C E 1900 NORMAN DOORWAYS IN BUCKS, RECSOFBUCKS8P222&FIG1"".
- <8>SBC20224 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Buckinghamshire: Wycombe District: Parishes of Bledlow &C. p31.
- <9>SBC10416 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1960. OS 1960 SIX INCH MAP. 1:10,560.
- <10>SBC23373 Article in serial: Elliott Viney. 1991. Bucks Churches in the Eighteen-Forties. Plate 1, p69.
|Grid reference||SU 82826 97125 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||BRADENHAM, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 19 2016 11:18AM