Building record 0240504000 - SAINT JOHN'S HOUSE, MARKET HILL
- Listed Building (II) 1204936: ST JOHN'S HOUSE
Type and Period (4)
- HOUSE (Rebuilt 1696, 15th Century to 17th Century - 1400 AD to 1699 AD)
- TEACHERS HOUSE (17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD to 1999 AD)
- (Alternate Type) TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (15th Century to 17th Century - 1400 AD to 1699 AD)
- RESTAURANT (20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
Grade II. Former schoolmaster's house, latterly restaurant. C15, substantially rebuilt in 1695 and altered C20. Originally timber-framed to 1st floor, rebuilt to front in red brick in Flemish bond, ground floor of coursed and uncoursed limestone rubble, plain-tile roof and brick end stacks. 3-unit plan. 2-storey, 4-window range. 6-panel door to left with overlight and wood lintel, flanked by C20 bay windows with hipped plain-tile roofs. A pair of wood mullion and transom windows to ground floor right of centre with wood lintels. Similar windows to 1st floor. 1st-floor storey band, deep chamfered limestone eaves and 3 hipped roof dormer windows. Coursed squared limestone end walls, appearing to left as quoins. Rear wall of uncoursed limestone rubble to ground floor, and timber-framed 1st floor with red brick infill. INTERIOR: moulded spine beam to left ground floor room and large inglenook with bressumer. The building is attached to the north end of The Old Latin School. It was rebuilt after a fire at the cost of Alexander Denton for use as a house for the Master of the Royal Latin School (B7).
- <7>SBC23498 Bibliographic reference: Department of National Heritage (DNH). 1994. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKINGHAMSHIRE: BOROUGH OF BUCKINGHAM. p86.
|Grid reference||SP 69566 34032 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKINGHAM, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 19 2019 12:51PM