Monument record 0236901000 - MARSH LANE EAST: Site 1
- None recorded
Type and Period (3)
- PIT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- MIDDEN (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- DITCH (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
FURTHER WORK BY TVAS: SITE 1: LOCATED ON MARGINS OF PEAT FILLED CHANNEL CENTRED ON TRENCH D198. COMPRISED A CHARCOAL PATCH, A PIT FULL OF BURNT FLINT & POSSIBLE MIDDEN CONTAINING FLINTS & DEVEREL-RIMBURY POTTERY WITH CARBONISED RESIDUES. FLINT & POT FINDS OCCUR ONLY ON TOP OF THE PEAT (B2).
A peat filled palaeochannel was discovered in the southern part of the site, with three roughly parallel ditches aligned NNW-SSE across the SW part of the site The eastern most ditch was 0.65m wide x 02m deep and extended for 15m. As it crossed the bank of the palaeochannel it turned to the WNW-ESE and was cut by the central of three ditches which contained domestic debris from the early and middle Bronze Age. Flint finds included a late neolithic edge-polished chisel and a retouched spearhead of Beaker date (ritual deposit?). A cremation was located in the north western corner of the trench consisting of a small mount of bone, including skull and long bone shaft fragments. A pit on the eastern side of the site had a recut containing a small asssemblage of late Neolithic/early Bronze Age struck fint (B3).
- ---SBC18630 Aerial Photograph: 14/07/75. NMR SU9180/1/97. SU\915401. Yes.
- <2>SBC23793 Unpublished document: Thames Valley Archaeological Service. 1991. Maidenhead, Windsor and Eton Flood Alleviation Scheme: Archaeological Evaluation Stage 3 1991. p9.
- <3>SBC19199 Unpublished document: Oxford Archaeological Unit. 1997. Maidenhead, Windsor and Eton Flood Alleviation Scheme Post-Ex Assessment and Updated Project Design: Marsh Lane East Site (Taplow).
|Grid reference||SU 9207 7989 (point) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||TAPLOW, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
- FLAKE (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- SHERD (Middle Bronze Age - 1600 BC to 1001 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Desk-based Assessment and Fieldwalking (EBC1054)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation trial trenching, test pitting and auger surveys (EBC10294)
- Event - Intervention: Excavations along the line of the Maidenhead, Windsor and Eton Flood Eleviation Scheme (EBC16348)
- Event - Intervention: Investigations for Maidenhead, Windsor and Eton Flood Alleviation Scheme (EBC16358)
Record last edited
Mar 27 2018 7:30PM