Building record 0236100000 - ST MARY'S CHURCH
- Listed Building (II*) 1117838: CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Planning Notification Area: Medieval parish church of St Mary and deserted Medieval village of Fleet Marston
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1868-9., 12th Century to Modern - 1100 AD to 1999 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0021 m Width 0008
Grade II+. Redundant parish church. C12 and C13 nave and chancel, altered C14 and C15, restored 1868-9. Coursed rubble stone with chamfered plinth and diagonal off-set buttresses, old tile roofs. N. side of nave has slight projection at W. end, a large single light window, mostly C19, and a restored C15 2-light window with tracery. Central door in 2-centred chamfered arch and rebuilt porch, the porch retaining an old cusped light to each side. To S. nave has 4-light cusped window with flat head. At W. end of ridge is a small square bell-cote, rendered, with a gable to each side. Chancel windows are also much restored, the N. and E. walls each having a cusped single light, the S. side having one similar window, a 2-light window with ogee tracery and flat head, and a doorway with 2-centred chamfered arch. Interior: early C14 chancel arch, slightly 4-centred and double chamfered, on semi-octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Each capital has 4 ball-flower motifs. Fine C15 roof to nave has queen posts, curved braces to collar, and curved wind-braces. Piscina basin in S. window-sill of chancel, one locker recess. Circular font with tapering basin on plain stem is probably C13, re-cut. 2 late C18 and C19 memorial tablets. RCHM I p.158-9 (B7).
CHANCEL & NAVE POSS C12 OR C13. S WALL OF NAVE REBUILT PROB LATE C14. WOODEN BELL TURRET DISAPPEARED - PRESENT ONE MODERN. RESTORED 1868-9 (B3).
EXCAVATION OF NAVE FOLLOWING CHURCH BEING DECLARED REDUNDANT & IN ADVANCE OF RESTORATION BY REDUNDANT CHURCHES FUND. RCHM'S ASSESSMENT LARGELY CONFIRMED (B5).
Buildings report held at NMR (B8)
- <1>SBC7539 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 1 PP330-332.
- <2>SBC14212 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN P402.
- <3>SBC12634 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P158.
- <4>SBC16015 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 4 P75 & ILLUS OPP P73.
- <5>SBC5153 Bibliographic reference: FARLEY M E,JAN 1976 (& SEE CBA GROUP 9 NEWSLETTER 1976 6 P23).
- <6>SBC7236 Bibliographic reference: LAMB G C (BCM),1973.
- <7>SBC19269 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p3.
- <8>SBC23358 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF051366.
|Grid reference||SP 77968 15965 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||FLEET MARSTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: Small area excavation (EBC11519)
Record last edited
Feb 4 2015 6:37PM