Building record 0219600000 - OAKLEY ROAD, BRILL
- Listed Building (II*) 1332781: FLATS AND THE MANOR HOUSE
Type and Period (2)
- HOUSE (16th Century to 19th Century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
- (Former Type) MANOR HOUSE (16th Century to 19th Century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0044 m Width 0018
Grade II+. Formerly house, now 6 flats. E-plan building to S. with irregular rear projections is early C17, incorporating parts of C16 structure, altered C18 and C20. Large irregular C19 extensions to N.W. Original part is of thin brick in English bond with stone coped gables and window surrounds. Timber frame with brick infill to right side. Old tile roofs, chimneys of thin brick with square shafts set diagonally and rebuilt off-set heads. Front left gable has C18 rectangular brick chimney. 2 storeys and attic. Central gabled porch with 2 narrow bays on each side and gabled projecting side wings, each with a return of 2 bays. Left wing has 2-light moulded stone mullion windows with leaded lights to main floors and blocked single light to attic. Front gable of right wing similar but with 3-pane sash to ground floor. To right of porch is a 4-light stone mullion window and a narrow bay of single lights, the upper blocked. Other windows have central mullion removed and C19 sash windows inserted. Porch has moulded stone 4- centred arch with carved spandrels and hoodmould. Early C18 3-panelled inner door in moulded wooden architrave frame. S. front has C20 2-storey canted bay window. Extensions to north are of red brick with irregular gables and hipped roofs. Interior: central range has flanking moulded stone fireplaces with 4-centred arches. The left room with half- height C17 panelling and C18 door, the right room, originally the hall, with stop-chamfered spine beam. Similar smaller stone fireplaces in right wing and upper room to rear right. Most rooms in the original part have either C17 or early C18 bolection panelling or a mixture of both, that to inner ground floor room of right wing with painted graining and stippling. Ground floor room to left wing has later C18 panelling. Staircase in gabled projection to rear has turned balusters. RCHM I p. 64-65 Mon.3 (B5).
Negative watching brief (B6).
- <1>SBC14194 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN P341.
- <2>SBC16062 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 4 PP15-16.
- <3>SBC12856 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP64-65.
- <4>SBC10413 Bibliographic reference: OS 1960 6IN (1:10560).
- <5>SBC19811 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Buckinghamshire: Aylesbury Vale: Parishes of Boarstall &C. p17.
- <6>SBC22771 Unpublished document: Thames Valley Archaeological Services. 2006. 4 The Manor House, Oakley Road, Brill: An Archaeological Watching Brierf.
|Grid reference||SP 65330 13720 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||BRILL, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13596)
- Event - Intervention: Watching brief (Ref: MHB 05/120) (EBC16753)
Record last edited
Mar 8 2021 4:28PM