Building record 0215500000 - ST MARY'S CHURCH, HARDWICK
- Listed Building (II*) 1319256: CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Planning Notification Area: Late Saxon and Medieval parish church of St Mary, Hardwick
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1872-1873, 11th Century to 19th Century - 1000 AD? to 1899 AD)
Dimensions - Length 0038 m Width 0012
NAVE PROB PRE-CONQUEST. W TOWER SLIGHTLY EARLIER THAN S AISLE OF 1350-60. C15 CLEARSTOREY. CHANCEL REBUILT & CHURCH RESTORED 1872-3 (B3).
SMALL WINDOW OVER N DOORWAY SUGGESTS NAVE OF PRE-CONQUEST DATE (B4).
SMALL INT SPLAYED CIRCULAR LIGHT HIGH UP IN S WALL ABOVE ARCADE COULD BE SAXON (B5).
Grade II+. Parish church. Nave probably of late Pre-Conquest date, W tower and S. aisle added mid C14. Chancel rebuilt, incorporating some old masonry, 1872-3. N. vestry and S. porch also added and remainder restored at this date. Coursed rubble stone, tower and S. clerestory rendered. Nave and tower have lead roofs,tiled chancel, S. aisle with C20 pantiles. W. tower of 2 stages has plinth, battlemented parapet, angle buttresses and parapet of square stair turret at S.W. corner. 2- light traceried openings to bell chamber, small lancet below to S., 2-light traceried window and clock to W. Nave has moulded parapet, N. wall also with plinth and off-set buttresses. C15 traceried 3-light windows flank moulded doorway to N. Over door is a C11 window with semi-circular head and double splayed sides. S. side of nave has clerestory of 3 C15 cusped 3-light windows with flat heads, the window in E. bay with hoodmould, and small quatrefoil window between E. bays. S. aisle has C19 moulded cornice and 3 2-light traceried windows, 2 to E. bays C14 with ogee tracery and arched heads, window in W. bay later with flat head. Traceried round window in E. wall rebuilt C20. Moulded S. doorway with some carved foliage ornament. Chancel has moulded plinth and sill course, the S. side with 2 2-light traceried windows and small door,one similar window to N., and 3-light window to E. Interior: triple chamfered arch to tower. Nave has 5-bay S. arcade of double chamfered arches on shaped quatrefoil piers with flattened lobes and moulded capitals. Blocked openings to rood-loft stairs. C15-C16 roof with chamfered and hollow-chamfered beams. S. aisle has piscina with triangular head, and 4-centred arch over reveal of S.W. window. C19 chancel arch. Chancel Cl9 with arch to organ in N.wall, and cusped piscina and window- seat sedilia to S. Fittings: small C17 chest; painted stone and glazed tile reredos dated 1899; C19 glass and other fittings. Monuments: painted stone and marble monument to Sir Robert Lee and family, 1616, with relief of figures kneeling at reading desk, family behind, and flanking Doric piers with entablature blocks and obelisks; base of marble monument to John Wood; marble tablets in S. aisle to Richard Harris 1613, William Barker 1669, John Dummer 1694 and James Fussell 1760. RCHM II p. 141 -2 (B10 ).
- <1>SBC7758 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP364-370.
- <2>SBC14449 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN PP682-683.
- <3>SBC13030 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 PP141-142.
- <4>SBC15539 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 P365-366.
- <5>SBC1944 Bibliographic reference: BROWN G BALDWIN 1925 ARTS IN EARLY ENGLAND VOL 2: ANGLO-SAXON ARCHITECTURE P457.
- <6>SBC15030 Bibliographic reference: H M and J Taylor. 1965. ANGLO SAXON ARCHITECTURE VOL I P285.
- <7>SBC10378 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1958. OS 1958 1:10560 MAP. 1:10,560.
- <8>SBC8321 Bibliographic reference: MEDIEVAL ARCHAEOLOGY 1968 12 P148.
- <9>SBC5409 Unpublished document: Eleanor Forfang. 1981. HARDWICK CUM WEEDON:A PARISH SURVEY APPENDIX II PP17-20 (IN CAS FILED 2686).
- <10>SBC4125 Bibliographic reference: DOE 1985 LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURA L OR HISTORIC INTEREST;BUCKS 619.
- <11>SBC11981 Bibliographic reference: PIKE A R APRIL 1977,FIELD VISIT.
|Grid reference||SP 80650 18980 (point)|
|Civil Parish||HARDWICK, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: (EBC13449)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13595)
Record last edited
Feb 1 2018 12:07PM