Monument record 0195601000 - 550M ENE OF BIDDLESDEN HOUSE
- None recorded
Type and Period (2)
- PIT (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- ANTI AIRCRAFT GUN POST (20th Century - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
Plan Form - CIRCULAR
CENTRAL PIT OF RING DITCH VISIBLE ON AERIAL PHOTO (B1).
A Second World War searchlight battery anti-aircraft gun emplacement is visible on historic aerial photographs and was mapped as part of the North Buckinghamshire Aerial Investigation and Mapping project (EBC18304). Located in a field about 575 metres ENE of Biddlesden House and centred at SP 463786 240064, this C-shaped earthwork bank and ditch emplacement is part of an adjacent much larger searchlight battery that was operational in 1942, but which was abandoned by 1946 (HER MBC13144). It is likely to have been an anti-aircraft gun post. The earthwork emplacement has been mostly levelled by 1973 but is still just visible. However, by 2017 the feature has been plough-levelled and visible as a cropmark (3-7).
- <1>SBC12464 Bibliographic reference: R.J.WILLIAMS (MKDC),19 JUNE 1984 (SEE HIS COLOUR TRANSPARENCY A/P IN CAS FILE 1956)..
- <2>SBC10321 Map: OS 1885 FIRST ED 6 INCH MAP. / FIRST ED 25 INCH MAP..
- <3>SBC26163 Aerial Photograph: Historic England. 2023. RAF-HLA-544 RV 6083 20-MAY-1942.
- <4>SBC26164 Aerial Photograph: Historic England. 2023. US-7PH-GP-LOC201 PORT 13050 06-MAR-1944.
- <5>SBC26167 Aerial Photograph: Historic England. 2023. RAF-106G-UK-1380 RP 3067 09-APR-1946.
- <6>SBC26166 Aerial Photograph: Historic England. 2023. OS-73336 V 465 24-JUN-1973.
- <7>SBC25593 Aerial Photograph: -. 2022. Google Earth Pro. Dated 08-APR-2017 Date Accessed 30-NOV-2022.
|Grid reference||SP 63820 40070 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BIDDLESDEN, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: (EBC11900)
- Event - Survey: Aerial investigation and mapping project (Ref: 7768) (EBC18304)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2023 3:33PM