Building record 0186100000 - STOKE HAMMOND PARISH CHURCH

Summary

Fourteenth century parish church of St Luke. 14th century chancel and central tower, nave and transepts with late 15th century details, 15th century South porch. West wall of nave rebuilt and church restored 1852. Greensand rubble with limestone dressings, ashlar parapets, diagonal buttresses to chancel repaired with brick.

Protected Status/Designation

  • Listed Building (II*) 1115981: CHURCH OF ST LUKE (DBC2017)

Map

Type and Period (1)

  • PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1852, 14th Century to 19th Century - 1300 AD to 1899 AD)

Description

Dimensions - Length 22m, Width 12m.
Plan Form - Cruciform.
Grade II+. Parish church. C14 chancel and central tower, nave and transepts with late C15 details, C15 S. porch. W. wall of nave rebuilt and church restored 1852. Greensand rubble with limestone dressings, ashlar parapets, diagonal buttresses to chancel repaired with brick. Lead roofs. Nave has much restored Perpendicular windows, 5-light to W., 3-light to N. and S. all with 4-centred heads. Moulded doorways, that to N. blocked, that to S. in gabled porch. Transepts have similar 3-light windows to N. and S. N. transept has lean-to to W. with arched doorway to lower stairs, and C19 lean-to vestry to E. Central tower is of one stage above the nave and has battlemented parapet and 2-light Decorated openings with ogee tracery. Chancel has one bay of 2-light Decorated windows, a single cusped low-side window and small moulded doorway to S., and a 3-light Perpendicular E. window all restored. Interior: main beams of nave and transept roofs are C15 but have C19 carved bosses and in the transepts, C19 carved angel corbels Tower rests on 4 double-chamfered arches, those to nave and chancel on semi- octagonal piers with moulded caps Chancel has piscina and double sedilia in ogee arches. Fittings C14 font with circular bowl on stem with 4 attached shafts; altar table dated 1619; poor box dated 1618 on turned baluster; other fittings C19. Monuments: late C17 monument to members of Disney and Wilks families on N. wall of chancel has dark grey stone inscription tablet in clunch surround of tapering Doric columns, and broken pediment with relief of kneeling figures; tablet to Mary Disney 1658; Tablet to members of Fountaine family 1650-90 in N. transept; tablet to Trimnell and Hillersdon Frank 1766 in nave. RCHM II p.282-3 (B7).
Dedicated to St Luke; B1 & B2 say St Mary? Rectors C13-C19 (B1).

The Parish Church of St Luke is built of ironstone with limestone dressings. all of the walls have plain parapets covered with cement, except for those of the chancel and the West wall of the nave, which are of modern stone. The roofs are covered with lead. There is no detail to show the date of the nave. It formerly extended to the West wall of the chancel, and traces of the SE angle are visible in the East wall of the South transept. Ca.1350, the chancel was enlarged, and the
central tower was built in the East end of the nave. The North and South transepts were possibly built at the same time as the tower, but it is more probable that they were added in the late C15th, when the walls of the nave were raised, the windows were inserted, and new roofs were added. Probably at the same time, the upper part of the tower was rebuilt
and the South porch added. In 1852, the West wall of the nave was rebuilt, and the whole building restored. The church is especially interesting on account of the development of the plan (B3).

This record includes National Record of the Historic Environment Information provided by Historic England on 4 June 2025 licensed under the Open Government Licence.

Sources (10)

  • <1>SBC20465 Bibliographic reference: George Lipscomb. 1847. The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham (Volume 4). Volume 4. pp361-365.
  • <3>SBC20467 Bibliographic reference: Royal Commision on Historical Monuments. 1913. Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume 2 North. Volume 2. pp282-283.
  • <4>SBC20463 Bibliographic reference: William Page (ed). 1927. A History of Buckinghamshire (Victoria County History) Volume IV. Volume 4. pp474-475.
  • <5>SBC1011 Bibliographic reference: BCM ACCESSIONS REGISTER 366.23.
  • <6>SBC10476 Map: OS 1978 1:2500 MAP.
  • <7>SBC19252 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Buckinghamshire: Aylesbury Vale District: Parishes of Aston Abbotts &C. p42.
  • <8>SBC4344 Bibliographic reference: DR C E KING,ASHMOLEAN MUSEUM,OXFORD,OCT 1983/BCM C OIN CATALOGUE.
  • <9>SBC27441 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE).
  • <10>SBC11706 Bibliographic reference: Nikolaus Pevsner. 1960. The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire.
  • <11>SBC27441 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE). Insert 2013: Update 2004.

Location

Grid reference SP 87938 29772 (point)
Civil Parish STOKE HAMMOND, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13592)

Record last edited

Aug 18 2026 1:42PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any questions or more information about this record? Please feel free to comment below with your name and email address. All comments are submitted to the Heritage Portal maintainers for moderation, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible. Comments, questions and answers that may be helpful to other users will be retained and displayed along with the name you supply. The email address you supply will never be displayed or shared.

Comments