Building record 0168304000 - ASHFOLD SCHOOL KITCHEN GARDEN
- Listed Building (II) 1332807: WALLS SURROUNDING KITCHEN GARDEN, WITH SUMMER HOUSE AT ASHFORD SCHOOL
Type and Period (3)
- GARDEN WALL (17th Century to 18th Century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- SUMMERHOUSE (17th Century to 18th Century - 1600 AD? to 1799 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) WALLED GARDEN (17th Century to 18th Century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
Grade II. Garden wall with summer house attached to S. Wall is C17-early C18, altered. S side, facing house is of coursed rubble stone with moulded depressed archway to centre. Some C17 thin brick at SW corner of wall. Remainder is of thicker red brick in English bond, with off-set brick and stone plinth and some pilasters. Altered doorways. Summer house on S side of S wall near E end is constructed from C17 materials but is of uncertain date. N and E sides are of rubble stone with ashlar quoins and single moulded stone openings. S and W sides each have chamfered segmental stone arch on semi-octagonal responds and octagonal corner pier. Moulded stone string above, rendered brick pediment to S. Another summer house, at W end of S wall, is C20 with flat roof on rubble stone piers, and is not of special interest (B7).
- <7>SBC19811 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Buckinghamshire: Aylesbury Vale: Parishes of Boarstall &C. p37.
|Grid reference||SP 67981 13995 (point)|
|Civil Parish||DORTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13596)
Record last edited
Jul 31 2018 12:47PM