Building record 0167900000 - LITTLE MARKET HOUSE
- Listed Building (II*) 1310836: THE LITTLE MARKET HOUSE
Type and Period (2)
- MARKET HALL (Built about 1604, 17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD to 1999 AD)
- SHAMBLES (19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Dimensions - Width 0015 Length 0016 m
Plan Form - Octagonal
1862 Meat shambles (B1).
Grade II+. Dating from circa 1604, remodelled by Robert Adam, 1761. Red brick with stone dressings, lead covered dome. Octagonal central block with fanshaped extension on the northern half, finishing with half pedimented ends towards the south. Arcaded ground floor with stone impost bands and archivolts, keystones to central bay arches. Sashes without glazing bars to 1st floor, outer 2 light window either side in reveal directly under cornice of half pediment, inner windows have architrave surrounds. Shallow octagonal dome with ribs on triple stepped blocking course. 1st floor level cornice band with blocking course with long central panel. Late C19 or early C20 dome turret light. Scheduled Ancient Monument (as Little Market Hall or The Shambles). Nos 1 to 5 (consec), The Little Market House, Guildhall, Premises occupied by Midland Bank and The Falcon Hotel form a group (B6).
Market open ground floor. Interior offices (B4).
Re-paving in 1988 revealed concrete floor possibly original work by Adam (B5).
- <1>SBC14355 Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN P921.
- <2>SBC11710 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P164, PL3A.
- <3>SBC10463 Map: OS 1975 1:1250 MAP.
- <4>SBC14034 Scheduling record: SCHEDULING LISTS OF INSPECTORATE OF ANCIENT MONUMENTS: BUCKS 26/DOE SAM PRINTOUT 29.10.1986: DESCHED.
- <5>SBC4860 Bibliographic reference: FARLEY M E (BCM) JULY 1988 (SEE NOTES & PHOTOS, FILED).
- <6>SBC3592 Bibliographic reference: DOE 1973 LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKS 2/7.
|Grid reference||SU 86555 93032 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH WYCOMBE, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: (EBC13824)
- Event - Survey: (EBC14044)
- Event - Survey: Site visit by EH Field Monument Warden (EBC13831)
Record last edited
Oct 11 2017 6:29PM