Monument record 0155800000 - SEVEN WAYS PLAIN
- Ancient Monument 1013958: SLIGHT UNIVALLATE HILLFORT AT SEVEN WAYS PLAIN, BURNHAM BEECHES.
- Planning Notification Area: Earthworks of Iron Age hillfort at Seven Ways Plain
Type and Period (2)
- UNIVALLATE HILLFORT (Early Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 700 BC to 42 AD)
- HILLFORT (Early Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 700 BC to 42 AD)
Dimensions - Length 180m; Width 125m.
Plan Form - Ovoid.
Enclosure consists of single dry ditch c.1m deep & 11m wide. NE side destroyed by quarrying & S levelled for car park. Inner bank barely visible except on SW & E sides. Broad outer bank on E side due to quarrying & further hollow-way giving access to quarry (B1-3).
SW entrance? WD huts once inside (01:000) (B3).
Scheduled SAM 27136 (B4).
Trial trench excavated across rampart bank ditch and counterscarp bank on SE side of hillfort in October 2021. Partial profile only, due to tree roots and WWII concrete foundation beam.
- <1>SBC12742 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P69.
- <2>SBC11187 Bibliographic reference: OS RECORD CARD SU 98 SW 16 (FILED).
- <3>SBC9242 Bibliographic reference: MR & MRS D MILLER JUNE 1975 SURVEY (FILED).
- <4>SBC13941 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1996. SCHEDULING LIST OF INSPECTORATE OF ANCIENT MONUMENTS.
- <5>SBC22779 Bibliographic reference: Corporation of London. 2005. Burnham Beeches Management Plan 2005-10.
- <6>SBC23849 Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2010. Desk-Based Assessment & Field Survey: Burnham Beeches, Farnham Common.
|Grid reference||SU 94710 84660 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BURNHAM, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Survey: (EBC13218)
- Event - Intervention: Seven Ways Plain trial trench excavation (EBC18353)
Record last edited
Nov 24 2021 5:17PM