Building record 0152401000 - HALL BARN
- Listed Building (II*) 1160418: HALL BARN
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Built after 1651, 17th Century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
STANDS IN LARGE PARK. 3 STOREYS & ATTIC. C.1675, RECTANGULAR BLOCK FACING N. IN EARLY C18 WING ADDED ON S EXTENDING E & OFFICES ON W SIDE. IN 1883 ADDITION BUILT IN NE ANGLE (B2).
BUILT FOR EDMUND WALLER, (POET). FULL DESCRIPTION (B4-5).
LOCATED AT NGR (B6).
Grade II+. Built for Edmund Waller, the poet, some time after 1651. Brick; stone dressings; stone slate hipped roof with lantern. Three storeys plus attic; 5 bays with coupled pilasters at the angles and between the windows. Ionic on the ground floor, Corinthian on the first and Composite on the second. The centre bay emphasized by detached columns carrying the pediments, segmental on the first floor and triangular on the second. The ground floor with a 3-bay porte-cochere by Devey of c.1865. In the roof 3 dormers with segmental pediments. To the right the former stables. Brick; slate roof with bell-turret. Two storeys (B3).
- <1>SBC15674 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP158-159.
- <2>SBC12849 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP41-42.
- <3>SBC4001 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST: BUCKINGHAMSHIRE: DISTRICT OF SOUTH BUCKS. p15.
- <4>SBC7669 Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 P190.
- <5>SBC11823 Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINHAMSHIRE PP150-152 & PLS 40A, 63A.
- <6>SBC10422 Map: OS 1961 6 INCH MAP.
|Grid reference||SU 94355 89229 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||BEACONSFIELD, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 25 2018 1:52PM