Monument record 0013900000 - HIGG'S & HILL'S GRAVEL PIT
- Planning Notification Area: Early Palaeolithic deposits
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Undated)
Dimensions - Length 0165 mm
DEMAND FOR GRAVEL DURING M4 CONSTRUCTION IN 1958-60 LED TO OPENING OF THIS PIT. ALTHOUGH DUG BY MACHINE, FINE SECTIONS EXPOSED, SIMILAR TO STATION PIT. PALAEOLITHS LOOKED FOR BUT FEW FOUND, THOUGH ROLLED, POINTED HAND AXE FOUND BY J F WYLEY (B1-2).
LOCATION OF PIT CONFIRMED, CENTRED AT NGR (B3).
Large pit opened in 1960 to supply road metal. One hand-axe found by Mr J F Wyley. Deposit is Lynch Hill Gravel. In 1995-6 the pit had been levelled and the site was recorded as open ground (B4-5).
- <1>SBC17052 Bibliographic reference: John Wymer. 1968. LOWER PALAEOLITHIC ARCHAEOLOGY IN BRITAIN P228.
- <2>SBC11202 Bibliographic reference: OS RECORD CARD SU 98 SW 90, JULY 1974.
- <3>SBC873 Bibliographic reference: BCC MINERALS SECTION, APPLICATION NO. ER/828/59.
- <4>SBC23341 Unpublished document: Wessex Archaeology. 1996. The English Rivers Palaeolithic Project: Regions 7 (Thames) and 10 (Warwickshire Avon). Site MTV-2 No.38 p69.
- <5>SBC23342 Unpublished document: Wessex Archaeology. 1996. The English Rivers Palaeolithic Survey: Regions 7 and 10: North of the Thames and Warwickshire Avon. MTV-2 No.38.
|Grid reference||SU 91800 82000 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TAPLOW, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire|
- HANDAXE (Lower Palaeolithic to Middle Palaeolithic - 500000 BC to 40001 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Intervention: (EBC12856)
Record last edited
Jul 15 2021 11:39AM