Building record 0122700000 - ST LAWRENCE'S CHURCH, CHOLESBURY
- Listed Building (II) 1332512: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
- Planning Notification Area: Earthworks of Prehistoric hillfort and Medieval parish church of St Lawrence, Cholesbury
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Rebuilt 1872-1873, 13th Century to 19th Century - 1200 AD to 1899 AD)
Dimensions - Length 15.56m, Width 4.58m.
Grade II. Parish Church. C13 rebuilt 1872-3 except for south wall, using same foundations and some original material. Knapped flint with stone dressings. Tiled roof, C19 bellcote at west end. South doorway C13 restored. Situated within the Iron Age camp (AM). RCHM I p 108 MON 2 (B5).
Nave and chancel with bellcote at west end. Originally built C13, pulled down and rebuilt on same foundations, using some original material, 1872-3. Knapped flint with stone dressings. C13 restored S doorway. Located inside hillfort (CASS 00016)(B1-5).
C13-C14 sherds found while repairing walls (B6).
- <1>SBC7454 Bibliographic reference: LIBSCOMB 3 PP321-323.
- <2>SBC15739 Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP334-335.
- <3>SBC12619 Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P108.
- <4>SBC10416 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1960. OS 1960 SIX INCH MAP. 1:10,560.
- <5>SBC3679 Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1983. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST. p28.
- <6>SBC13249 Article in serial: RECS OF BUCKS 17 1963 P204.
|Grid reference||SP 92933 07168 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||CHOLESBURY-CUM-ST. LEONARDS, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
- Event - Survey: Site visit (EBC13587)
Record last edited
May 11 2020 6:33PM