Monument record 0726100000 - St Mary Le Moor, Cadmore End
- None recorded
Type and Period (1)
- WAR MEMORIAL (Modern - 1901 AD to 1999 AD)
In St.Mary Le Moor church - a hollow octangonal font cover with wooden base. The sides sweep up to a silver figure of a mother holding her child, representing the homes for which the men had fought. Two pairs of ring handles on each side allow the lid to be lifted. The dedication is carved around the base of the cover and the names, of those killed in WW1 and WW2, occupy 6 of the 8 side panels. The artist was Kathleen Shaw, and the modelling was carried out by Kitty Keen and Marjorie Saunders (Ref: 1) The figure is 320 mm in height and 250mm wide. The bronze memorial measures 320mm in height and 2240mm in width and the base is in wide. In good condition. Unveiled and dedicated on 03 April 1920 by local clergy/dignitories. The names of the WW2 war dead were added in 1947. The materials were local, the silver and copper coming from thimbles, spoons, coins and other objects donated by parishioners and melted down. The clay for the memorial came from local brickworks. Also a Roll of Honour. (B1)
Photographs and details fo the WW1 war dead. (B2)
- <1>SBC24036 Digital archive: Imperial War Museum. 2011. UK National Inventory of War Memorials. UKNIWM REF: 8322.
- <2>SBC24038 Digital archive: June, Peter & Martin Underwood. 2011. Buckinghamshire Remembers database.
|Grid reference||SU 78413 92594 (point) (Exact)|
|Civil Parish||FINGEST AND LANE END, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 29 2012 10:43AM